cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI / IDOCS in SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

well am really thankful to all the people here and others who replied to my query last time

anyway i just wanted to know bout this EDI/IDOC how these 2things are used in SD

i know its for data interchange n we send the po to client through edi

so please help me upthis thnks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

EDI is a medium (another subsystem) which is moves the SAP data to another system. IDOC is SAP terminology for intermediate document which is more like a file which can be sent to other systems. For your case if you need to send a PO to a vendor via EDI, this is how the process flows -

Step 1. Idoc is triggered of the PO using a message type (output type) with medium EDI i.e., when you save the PO the output type is processed successfully.

Step 2. IDOC is created, this IDOC can be identified as outbound idoc as this is going out of SAP R/3 system. And ORDERS01 (probably) is the basic IDOC type already given by SAP.

Step 3. Now this IDOC is sent to EDI system, which picks up all the fields from idoc and convert it into EDI format. In your case industry standard EDI is 850. (but before having this process in place someone will map the IDoc fields to EDI fields).

Step 4. EDI is now going to send this to the vendor who is capable of dealing and understanding EDI messages. And also during initial setting up of EDI with your company they are going to define what fields on EDI sent from your company mean what to them.

As a whole EDI is just like mode of transportation for us between two cities. And people are similar to data to be exchanged in SAP.

EDI has couple of standards - ANSI X.12 & EDIFACT. Mostly we use ANSI in US, EDIFACT is dominent in Europe. So, when I mentioned EDI 850 it means Purchase order in ANSI format.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey naren

thnks a lot for the answer n others too

u know wat i have a interview in the evening u can say in 2 3 hrs and they are asking me SM with sd so can u tell me wat is sm and how v use it in sd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priti,

Both are the same... EDI for SAP is called IDOCS

go through this link and you will get enough documentation to start wiith.

http://www.erpgenie.com/sapedi/history.htm

reward points if it helps

regards

Biju