cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PP/DS Horizon: up to 3 months?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Context: we are considering using PP/DS to do some capacity planning. This would be done in a separate version in order to protect the "real" planning from the capacity planning and because additional demand is taken into account in capacity planning v production planning. The "real" production planning will be done with PP/DS, hence our idea to still use PP/DS i.p.o. SNP for capacity planning. For the capacity planning process, we would use an infinite run against finite resources. Release is SCM 5.0. We are talking about 1000 products and 100 resources roughly.

Question: currently the horizon is 21 days, so there is to my knowledge no problem to use PP/DS. However the customer might extend the process to 3 months. My question is: isn't this too long a horizon for PP/DS? Did anyone encountered performance issues with such an horizon?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jean-Louis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no right or wrong answer here, You can use PP/DS over years ifg required. However, the usual question to ask is how many orders are generated in a planning run and over what duration do the orders run for. If they only last for a few hours, then you could question needing a finite run over that timeframe, however if an order lasts for a day or more then that may be okay.

Also do you have production campaigns lasting for several weeks for example, again if you do then the longer timeframe may be appropriate.

Your performance will be affected more by the number of orders than the number of products. Do all 100 resouces need to be planned finitely or can you restrict this to your "bottleneck" resources only? That would help performance-wise.

I set-up PP/DS for a consumer products company and we had a 3 month horizon to cover the leadtime of key material supplies and also that we made a product on average every 6 to 8 weeks so needed a longer timeframe to ensure we could plan this effectively.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Regards

Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Order duration will be roughly 8 hours. We can expect up to 300 orders a day. Would that bring us in the "danger" zone?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You wouold have to ensure that you do a good sizing to ensure you have the correct hardware installed, use the Quicksizer and get your hardware partner to analyse the results.

Again, factors such as the number of components and activities will make a difference. The more complex the longer the runtime. You will also need to think about the planning heuristics you intend to use, if Standard Lots then not so much of a problem but the more complex Heuristics (especially if you have several steps in your planning run) may need some careful consideration.

That does sound a lot of orders to review, hope you got a lot of "switched-on" users ;o)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jean

I have worked with Horizon upto 70days, But never encountered any issues as such.

I think you can go ahead with 90days

Pls let me know incase if you heard any issues from others

reagrds

Vijay