cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

idoc to file scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In case of idoc-xi-file scenario idoc will be send from r/3 system to xi. So the communication is basically one way. But why we create two rfc destinations during the configuration ?? Is it to get the metadata from r/3 system ??

thanks

kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

><i>But why we create two rfc destinations during the configuration</i>

For a Idoc to File,. You need to create only one RFC destination . This will be created in the R3 system and not on XI.

You do not need any settings on the ABAP stack of Xi for an idoc to File scenario.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bavesh,

Even I will agree with your answer. But if you see most of the available material rfc destination will all be created from xi system to r/3 system. You can observe the same in the below given document.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/73527b2c-0501-0010-5398-c4ac372c...

Please tell me where I am missing

thanks

kumar

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need to understand the basic idea behind an RFC destination. The RFC destination is used as a means of communication between one SAP system and another ( XI is also a R3 system).

When your SAP R3 system needs to send an idoc to XI , it needs a RFC destination so that this can be used to connect to XI and push the Idoc to XI.

Likewise when XI needs to post an Idoc to a SAP R3 system , XI needs a RFC destination so that it can connect to the R3 system and send the idoc to the R3 system.

In the case of an idoc - XI - File, your SAP R3 system sends the idoc to XI and so you need a RFC destination on your SAP R3 system and not in XI.

In most of the documents you see on SDN, you end up with Idoc to Idoc or File to Idoc etc and so things gets confusing. Try to apply this simple logic and then things should wokr fine.

regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bavesh !

Since r/3 system is only sending idoc to xi it is only a way communicaiton. So it only need rfc destination from r3 system not from the xi end. It is perfect. But still I have one more question in mind. Could you please clarify the same ??

From xi end we do idx1(port creation) and idx2(to import the metadat) configuration steps. So at least to import the metadata it has to communicate with r3 system. So to communicate with r3 system it needs a rfc destination. Please correct me if I am wrong.

thanks

kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kumar,

It is not backwards. You need to have metadata becuase when R3 sends the data to XI, XI understands the data directly from the metadata i.e, the format in which XI is going to receive is in the metadata format.

Eventhough if you dont create metadata in IDX2 it is fine. for the first time it throws error. But in the second time the first time metadata is stored in XI and from the second with this metadata it dont throw error. Hence to stop the error for the first time you import meatadata into XI.

Hope this gives you some idea on this. Check this help for further information on this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/8a/b8b13bb3ace769e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

---Satish

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi anusha,

thanks for your reply ! the material is very helpful. I have a user id to use marketplace......but I am not able to navigate through to get the material like the one that you suggested. Could you please tell me how you are able to get the same ??

thanks

kumar