cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information on brrestore using TSM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Basis Guru,

We are currently using Trivoli Storage Manager (TSM) with Trivoli Data Protector (TDP for SAP) to backup our SAP production server (1.3TB on Oracle 9.2.0.5). Currently we need to restore the whole database on our disaster recovery system. I would appreciate if you could assist in provideing me with some guidelines on the process and procedure to perform this task. Is there any SAP Help information on this subject?? Thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nisch,

It seems that the init<SID>.utl file is used instead of init<SID>.sap for backup. How should I proceed now?? Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

You will need to copy the files across manually to their respective directories before you run restore.

I assumed that your DR was setup to use TSM and that the necessary config files that are used to integrate TSM and brbackup are in place. You need to look at your TSM setup document, the setup involves:

1.mySAP TDP Agent Install

2. mySAP TDP Client Setup

There are enviroment variables that need to be created and the following files need to be in place:

initSID.utl

initSID.bki

initSID.sap

Regards,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nisch

Also, note the profile is used to drive brbackup and restore, i.e. init<SID>.sap in production.

Do we copy this file or is that also restore from tape??

Do we also need to restore the rest of the files: example init<SID>.ora, init<SID>.dba, and the log files from the tapes??

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you need many files to restore:

initSID.sap

initSID.utl

backSID.log

bxxxxxxx.xxf

read the following blog, it has great information:

http://www.geoffreyhuntley.com/articles/example-mysap-restoration-from-tsm-using-backint/

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Nischal,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I need to know your DR setup, do you run TSM on DR as well?

Yes, we do run DR module for TSM.

Is your DR setup exactly as your production site?

The DR site is different setup. In the production environment, we have DBCI and two application server. In the DR environment, we only have DBCI (no appls). However, the two DBCI server are of the same configuration.

Are you restoring the production database to configure Oracle Dataguard for DR?

No, we do not configure Oracle Dataguard. It is just a normal backup and restore operation.

Thanks.

Regards

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

Take a note of the full backup done in production, important is the log of the backup, you can get the exact filename from DB13 and it is in directory:

/oracle/<SID>/sapbackup, the filename will be like "bdvhpzxp.anf".

Also, note the profile is used to drive brbackup and restore, i.e. init<SID>.sap in production.

You need to copy the files (backuplog and profile) to the target instance (DR) and put them in the same directory as in production.

As the profile drives the tapes, you need to make sure that the tape_address in TSM in Prod and DR are same, or else you will have to change the value in the profile at DR.

During restore, we create a SCRATCH tape to perform backup / restore, as this takes it out of the existing volumes used for BAU backups.

I assume you have a the necessary mountpoints setup DR as your production. The command to restore the backup is:

brrestore -c -b <backuplog> -p <profile file>

e.g. brrestore -c -b bdvbmhqc.anp -p initPF1_dr.sap

Hope this helps, reward points if you find it useful.

Regards,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

We have a similar setup, except, our database is 9.2.0.7 and the size of DB is 1.6TB.

I need to know your DR setup, do you run TSM on DR as well? Is your DR setup exactly as your production site? Are you restoring the production database to configure Oracle Dataguard for DR?

Regards,

Nischal