cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOC or ABAP Proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are currently on WAS 6.40. We have to send the PO's to our Vendor. This is a new functionality that we are trying to add in our R/3 System. Once this is done we will be exchanging the PO's with our vendor.

Now my question is should I need to go for the IDOC or an ABAP Proxy? Which one will suit my situation now and in the future? Why?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

go for IDOC as it's all in standard and very simple to configure

and ABAP proxy sending a PO is not a standar so you'd have

to program everything yourself

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michal. Even with IDOC we need to write the corresponding Function Module to process the data, also in future if my client wants to send a PDF attachment I felt ABAP proxy would be the best choice? Correct me please.

Thanks.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

sending attachment with proxies is very smiple

have a look at my blog:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/04/19/xi-rfc-or-abap-proxy-abap-proxies-with-attachments

but PO via IDOC is a standard so I'd go for it and get the PDF attachment

from XI

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>> but PO via IDOC is a standard so I'd go for it and get the PDF attachment

from XI

So you want me to send the IDOC using the standard way and the PDF using the ABAP Proxy? thats what you say or what does the following means get the PDF attachment from XI

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

no

you can send the IDOC (with PO) to XI

then inside XI you can get the PDF file , attach it to your flow (with correct PO)

and send anywhere you need

no need for abap proxy in this case

is it clear now ?

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am clear now. Thanks a lot.

But the problem is now once the IDOC_PO arrives into XI, I need fetch the corresponding PDF and then need to attach the same and all these process will be done using a BPM.

1) Send the PO to XI

2) The XI (BPM) will receive the PO-IDOC

3) The BPM need to parse the IDOC number

4) The BPM need to send a Synchronous call to the Application where the PDF files are stored(Request ---> IDOC number that we got from step 3, Response will be the PDF file) and if the PDF's are stored in a File application system, then BPM can't send a Sync call.

5) Once getting the PDF, the IDOC and PDF are going to be sent to the supplier using corresponding receiver Adapters one for the PO and other one for the PDF

Am I doing correct with my points?

Thanks for your help.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>4) The BPM need to send a Synchronous call to the Application where the PDF files are stored(Request ---> IDOC number that we got from step 3, Response will be the PDF file) and if the PDF's are stored in a File application system, then BPM can't send a Sync call.

file fetching can be done very easily with async java proxies

(and correlation)

>>>>Am I doing correct with my points?

yes

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michal thanks.

So how should I use the correlation here to fetch the file that I want? would you explain me in detail please? Thanks

Coming to Java Proxy how will I achieve the same?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>So how should I use the correlation here to fetch the file that I want? would you explain me in detail please? Thanks

we do it like this:

a) the file attachment is big

inside a BPM we take the PO numer (which is also the PDF number)

call async java proxy that copies the PDF from our location

to suppliers location (this way we don;t put the attachment

in XI as it's only <b>copied</b> via java proxy)

b)the file attachment is small

inside a BPM we take the PO numer (which is also the PDF number)

call async java proxy that copies the file and calls another async java proxy

to come back to our BPM - then we have the PDF inside XI

but the first way is more prefered as you don't need to store the PDF

inside XI in this case (as you jut copy to destination)

Regards,

michal

-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michal.

So the Java Proxy will take the PDF from Our Location and will send to the Receiver Location directly? How is this possible?

And once this is done, then using BPM we have to send our PO to our Receiver Location?

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>So the Java Proxy will take the PDF from Our Location and will send to the Receiver Location directly? How is this possible?

java proxy is just a simple java code (app)

so you can copy files inside - just like with any other java application

>>>>nd once this is done, then using BPM we have to send our PO to our Receiver Location?

yes

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have similar requirement, IDOC to RNIF with pdf attachment. I am not very familiar with java proxies. If some one has implemented this, can you share it with me or point me to the right direction.

Thanks

Asif

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

arkesh_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

Just to add to Experts' points provided above, you use IDoc where you do not have huge data being passed to PI and you use a standard IDoc where whatever values you need to pass they are present in the corresponding IDoc fields.

You use a ABAP Proxy where huge data is being passed and it does not follow a standard structure.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Arkesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pete,

If you have a standard Idoc then thats fine. If you dont have and if you are doing from scratch then I would recommend to go with Proxy. So please check your entire requiremnets.

---Satish

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>If you have a standard Idoc then thats fine.

there can be no more standard DOC that the one for sending POs

Regards,

michal