cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

files change to older version when i start SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

i am in the process of upgrading teh sAP Kernel to version 175 from 43

I stop the sap server. and then copy the sAP Database independent and Database dependent kernel and put it in the Run folder

After that i have the latest fiels in the run folder

But when i start the SAP System the files gets back to the older version.

I dont know why and how this is happening

Pls help me in this ASAP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to copy new exe file into the following dir.

/sapmnt/<SID>/exe

Regards

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

i am coping to the folder.. d:\usr\sap\<SID>\sys\exe\run

But after doing this when i start the server, the disp+work.exe changes to older verison

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please let em know whether i have to copy this to d:\usr\sap\<SID>\sys\exe\nuc\nti386 also

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Backup the all the files and delete ..... copy new files

regards

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

this is also not solving teh issue.

If i delete all the files and copy it and start the server teh sap si not starting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It looks, you downloaded wrong kernel files ...

give system details ....

Regards

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

My system is a non unicode NW2004.

But i used the same files to change the kernel in another similar system.

I aslo see the same executables in NUN\NTI386 folder

should i update the kernel in this folder aslo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

I dont rememeber correctly but probably you are correct. Java stack as such does not have kernel but still kernel related executables are created for it.I think NUN\NTI386 is for J2EE. I guess you can copy the files in NUN\NTI386 folder and then try again. Do it like any normal kernel upgrade however. Take backup,bring down SAP and DB ,make sure saposcol ain't running and then do the copy. I mean just like normal kernel upgrade.

Try it and let us know if it worled. If not then please restore the backup of NUN\NTI386 again.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had faced this same error...

Please update NUN\NTI386 also.

This solved the issue for me.

Award points as applicable.

Cheers,

Bidwan

Former Member
0 Kudos

The structure of the kernel directory changed sometime back from the traditional ...\SYS\exe\run to a new structure which includes Unicode and processor architecture. It's been happening since 620 although I first came across it in a 640 system. OSS Note 919046 describes the process to upgrade an old structure to the new format. See also 19466 and 664679 for more background info.

You should also check the appropriate SP Stack guide which normally documents the upgrade process.

Normally you only have to unpack the sapexe and sapexedb archives into the correct directory, in your case ...\nuc\nti386. When you start the instance the sapcpe.exe program then distributes the files to the correct locations. My guess is that the old PL43 files were being copied from the ...\nuc\nti386 directory over the new PL175 files that you had installed. There should be a sapcpe.log file in the instance WORK directory which you can check.

If I remember correctly, for a Central Instance, the files are copied by sapcpe to \usr\sap\<SID>\DVEBMGS00\exe. The principle is similar whether it's a Java or ABAP or Dual stack system.

George M-A

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

George Martin has the correct answer. Please award him points.