cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does every instance has a Dialog Work Process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does every instance has a Dialog Work Process ? (server instance , central instance)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jimmy,

Gary is correct. An Application server must have a Dialog Process, in fact we would recommend at least 2. I would recomend that you read SAP Note 39412 which will provide you with a good overview of work processes and the recommended configuration.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jimmy,

There may be times (during problem determination) when you need to logon to the instance (either directly or via SM51). You can't do this without a dialog work process. Also, the total number of dialog processes must be at least equal to the number of non-dialog work processes (BGD, UPD) for RFC calls made from these non-dialog work processes. Other asynchronous system processing such as the buffering of additional numbers in the number range buffer also requires a DIA work process.

Are you trying to configure an application server without dialog processes ?

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jimmy,

I think you'll find that SAP will not start without at least 2 dialog work processes. Note 39412 gives the minimum configuration for the Central Instance and Dialog Instances.

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jackson ,

Can you tell me why there should be atleast one Dialog Workprocess in any instance ?

Thanks

Message was edited by:

Jimmy John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Mantosh ,

I meant that can we set the parameter rdisp/wp_no_dia to 0. If yes justify?

Thanks for your previous reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes every instance has a dialog work process.

i didn't get when you say server instance and central instance.

well the central instance is the one which hac a message server and a enqueue server. idially it should have two ( minimum) dialog work processes.

the other application server based on this central instance are called dialog instances coz they are used for load balancing. they ofcourse have the dialog instances.

regards and reward with good points.