Why Netweaver for SOA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have posted the same message in ESOA forum also as it is related to both

Netweaver and SOA:

• Here is the message ***

Hi

We are in the process of evaluating Sap Netweaver and related products.

Here is a little background of our company.

We are an insurance organization with a bunch asp.Net applications,

very few java and vb apps working independently of each other.

Senior management is now looking at bringing SOA and Enterprise Architecture into

the picture.

Someone has recomended them to look into Netweaver for implementing SOA.

I have been reading some of the documents in ESA area and Netweaver area.

At a first look it looks really promising.

I hope, i am right. Please feel free to correct me if not.

But we are primarily a .Net based shop and we could implement an SOA based arch by developing services in .net and other layers which are needed by the service layer.

We are confused why management wants us to take the route of Netweaver.

A few reasons that we were told is there is a lot of reuse using Netweaver and will

save us a lot of time in the future, which is also true if we develop in the traditional way.

Here are some of the questions we have, will really appreciate if someone can share some light.

1. First, it is not making a lot of sense, why to bring in Netweaver for developing SOA based architecture when we could develop it using traditional web services and develop a services layer around the various web apps. Do you agree?

2. Do you see or know of any advantages/dis advantages of using Netweaver that we may be failing to see/understand which could be achieved that we cannot achieve using traditional webservices. Please share with us.

Wondering if anyone has been in this situation and if so would like to share any links or documentation or experiences. Any input will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Sai

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

in principle everything can be developed by customers themselves.

However with SAP NetWeaver you get the SOA based architecture in form of our SAP Enterprise Services preconfigured.

So why would you like to rebuild everything that you will get from SAP as part of SAP NetWeaver ?

If you still would like to develop additional components and prefer .NET as your developement platform it is easy to achieve interoperability between SAP NetWeaver and your .NET based applications based on Web services.

Please see more details in our eSOA section of SDN.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/enterprisesoa

Best regards,

André

former_member182416
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi There ,

The Simple Answer for this is .......

If your Company is Running Applications on SAP (or planning to )then the logical choice is Netweaver...

else as you have mentioned you can have the SOA Architecture based on Microsoft .NET .