cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOAP Adapter - Using Fault Message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have developed a Synchronous Integration Scenario which receives a SOAP request to the SOAP adapter, calls an ABAP proxy in SAP ECC to post some information and return a response or a fault to the sender.

This all works fine, I am using a fault message in the ABAP proxy to record errors and return them to the SOAP adapter using the fault mapping. Again this all works fine. However when an application error is identified and a fault message returned to thre SOAP adapter, I had expected that the error details in the fault message to be packaged up in a standard SOAP fault and returned to the sender. Instead the fault message details are sent as the payload in the SOAP body of the response.

Can anyone provide information on if it is possible to return the fault message as a standard SOAP fault instead of in the SOAP body of the response.

Thanks

Gary

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Have you found a solution to your problem? I have the similar problem. Could you post your solution if you found one?

Regards,

Hui

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

oops, incorrect answer this thread.

Message was edited by:

Bhavesh Kantilal

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dont think this is possible in standard.

As an alternate, maybe you can select option Do not use SOAP Enevlope int he sender SOAP Adapter and thereby the entire SOAP Message will enter the mapping and you would need to use a XSL or Java mapping to strip the SOAP Envlope in the mapping for the request and like wise in the response mapping you would need to add the SOAP Enevlope to the response.

For the fault message mapping you need not add the SOAP Envelope.

Not a standard solution, but can be tried if the requirement is really worth it. Otherwise I think the Fault Message will continue to be sent as the payload in the the SOAP Enevlope as this is how the SOAP adapter works.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thanks for the quick response. Your response really confirms what I had thought as I could not find anyway using SAP XI fault messages as standard to cause the fault message details to be returned to the sender as a SOAP fault.

Is the SOAP fault only used for transport/comm errors and exceptions that are not handled then? I have seen some posts detailing such errors in the SOAP fault returned to the sending application. If so this means that the sending application has to be able to handle a SOAP response detailing successful content, SOAP response detailing fault message content and a stand SOAP fault?

Thanks

Gary

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gary,

To be very frank, all this is pure therotical as I haven't really got my hands dirty with Fault Messages.

Fault messages are surely used to transport back Application errors. The application ( Proxy needs to trigger fault message back to XI and this fault message mapping will happen for the SOAP Fault). But, this Fault message when sent back by the SOAP adapter will be wrapped with the SOAP Envelope.

The body of this SOAP message though will be the Fault Message? Are you not getting this?

regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

I am getting the Fault Message returned in the SOAP body of the SOAP envelope, which is fine. The system that we are returning the fault to had requested that we send the fault back in a standard SOAP fault however this does not seem possible without developing a solution to do it. I had hoped that there was a method of returning the fault as a SOAP fault but I can not find how this is possible without having to build the SOAP message that is to be returned myself.

Thanks for all you help. If nothing else you have confirmed what I thought.

Thanks

Gary

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gary,

><i>I am getting the Fault Message returned in the SOAP body of the SOAP envelope, which is fine.</i>

I thought that you were nto getting this as well . Thankfully you are

If you do find an alternate to do this apart from the manual creation of SOAP Envelope etc, please do let us know or even do blog on it.

Regards

Bhavesh