cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help required on error logging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are planning to get a Webdynpro based BP certified. I have gone through the document 'J2EE-DEP 7.0 SAP NetWeaver 2004s Application Installation/Deployment -Documentation and Test Catalog'. I have got a doubt here. It is in the following point:

"A J2EE application error test (five error tests mutually agreed upon) making use of SAP logging will be mandatory along with other ISV product logging features in order to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve J2EE application errors. The SAP NetWeaver Administrator is the preferred tool to use in order to locate the error messages. The SAP NetWeaver Visual Administrator can also be used as an alternative. The results should be identical."

Here, how are they expecting error logs? Is it to be done in the web dynpro application?

Pls help.

regards,

Shyam.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member290897
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Shyam,

the certification requirement for the logging has the following background:

There are multiple logging frameworks out there (e.g. log4j, jakarta).

At SAP we use the SAP logging framework.

Logging has to be done via calls in your application. Have a look at this document to find out how to implement this on your side:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/36085e78-0801-0010-678d-8b4e89dd...

So this is a J2EE deployment certification (J2EE-DEP 7.0) the logging needs to be done in the J2EE application. The Portal application certification (EP-BP) may have different requirements on how to deal with error conditions.

Hope this information is helpful for you,

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juergen,

thanks a lot for your help. I have got some new doubts regarding this.

We have done the following steps for error logging:

Created a log configuration file in the metainf folder of the web dynpro project.

Specified the format,location,controller details etc in the file.

Changed the property 'ForceSingleTraceFile' to 'No'. (In visual admin->kernal->log manager).

Restarted the server and deployed the applicaion.

Now it is working properly. the errors are getting logged.

<b>But in SAP Note Number 733903, I found that in productive environment the default setting should not be changed because of performance and supportability reasons</b>.

But if this is not done, the errors will be logged in a default trace file. In such a condition, errors from all the applications will be logged in that single file. Is this what is required in a BP certification process?

thanks n regards

Shyam.