cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java central instance (SCS) setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to SAP Java environment and have installed a Net weaver 2004s ABAP+JAVA instance. The question I have is, In an SAP Landscape, does the java central instance (SCS) numbering be the same as the system numbers used for ABAP only instances? What is the recommended and preferred method?

Please advise how multiple SCS are setup in your SAP environments.

Many thanks,

Regards,

Nischal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

When you install a system (either ABAP, Java, or ABAP+Java) you specify the instance numbers (i.e. SCS<number>, JC<number>, DVEBMGS<number>) or defaults are applied by the installation. So it's absolutely configurable. Java central services instance (SCS) numbering might or might not be the same as ABAP only systems instance numbering.

Separate systems may be installed on a certain host and all of them will (must) have different instance numbers.

Does it help or were you asking something else?

-Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Vladimir, it is an useful answer but I need more clarification.

In an SAP Landscape, is it necessary to have system numbers unique? Can other java instances (for R/3 or BW) have same SCS numbers in an SAP landscape? As system numbers also open ports based on their combinations and it will conflict if they run on a single host.

What is the "best practices" method that is SAP recommended and being followed by large implementations?

Regards,

Nisch

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

Yes, you cannot have two instances with the same number on a single box.

BTW, let me clarify the terminology a bit. Systems do not have numbers, they have IDs, i.e. SIDs (e.g. NSP, J2E, CE1). A system may comprise several instances, e.g. central services instance (SCS), central instance (JCxx, DVEBMGSxx), dialog instances. Instances have numbers (shown as xx above) and these numbers must be unique.

It's hard to answer your question about "best practices" merely because it depends on many factors, like hardware, scenarios, etc. and there's no general solution. In theory (and in practice), you can have several usage types (EP, BI, XI) deployed in a single system, but you can also have a dedicated system for each of them. I would recommend that you have a look at the installation guides on http://service.sap.com/instguides.

HTH!

-Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisch,

Yes it's true that for the same hostname you cannot have the same sid and you cannot have the same instance numbers for the SCS and your CI instances. They need to be unique.

However on two different systems( different hostname), you can have similar SID's and the instance numbers.

regards, and reward with suitable points.

Answers (0)