Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Standard Regarding Control File

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Can you guys please guide me regarding this

Changed the control file location 1 of the control file out of 3 to archive log files location.

Placing the control file to the archive log location is that a Sap Standard? If yes please Provide any SAP document suggesting above

Regards

Ricky

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP has a "standard" location of the control files.

But this files are "critical" for the DB, therefore you should move them to new locations to protect them better.

the 3 control files <b>must </b>be in 3 different disks, no filesystem or drives, but physical disks.

If you lose one disk you still have two valid control files.

The mirrorlog <b>must </b>be in different physical disk than the origlog. If you lose one you still have the other.

You should keep this things in lind when you plan your database installation or manage one already installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricky,

It is recommended that place the control files on different physical disks.

The reading/writing of the control files doesn't cause very much performance.

For example, if you already split the online redologs, archivelogs and datafiles in different physical disks, you can distribute the control files like this:

control_files='/oracle/SID/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlSID.dbf','/oracle/SID/sapdata1/cntrl/cntrlSID.dbf','/oracle/SID/saparch/cntrl/cntrlSID.dbf'

It's just a example, you can use it as a reference.

If you want some document, goto service.sap.com/instguides and find the guide for your products, in section 'Preparation and planning', you can find the information about controlfiles distribution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Georgine,

Thanx that was a good info

I guess you are an Oracle Expert.

i'm trying to do DB upgrade on sandbox from oracle 9.2.0.7 to 10.2

if you have any screen-shots or any helpfull document regarding this please

forward this to my e-mail id basis911@gmail.com

regards

Ricky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Georgine

That what confusing, below parameter which indicates the control file locations are pointing to archive log location.

control files='oracle/SID/origlogA/cntrl/cntrlSID.dbf',

oracle/SID/sapdata1/cntrl/cntrlSID.dbf',

oracle/SID/saparch/cntrl/cntrlSID.dbf'

Here oracle/SID/saparch -

is the archive log location for the database.

Note: Can understand placing the control file at the redo log file location because there are part of the database but the archive logs are not part of the database and we need them only if we need to recover the database and usually we delete them (archive logs) after taking the backup from that location.

Regards

Ricky

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ricky,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been online for a time period.

About the parameter, it's just an example, you can put it anywhere as you wish, and make sure they are on different physical disks. As I mentioned before, the control files will not cost high I/O, so you can put it even in dir of redo log.

The location is not fixed, just forget the example...

About the upgrade guide, you can goto service.sap.com/instguides -> Other documentation -> Database Upgrades -> Oracle, there are many detailed upgrade guides. Hope they are useful for you.

Regards

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no, this is not standard, you should put mirrlog, origlog and archive logs on different disks for performance.