cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turnoff operation mode?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have manually switched my instance(app server) to run with specific operation mode.Now, how do i cancel this op mode and bring back my instance to its normal mode?

Thanks

Ram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

Your suggestions are good.Thanks for that.

However,my observation from you is, you treat every question/thread created in this portal is meant for production systems.THATIS NOT TRUE.Being in this IT industry for 12 yrs of course when it comes to production system or even actual development system I make sure I keep standard features in place.

We see this new feature with op mode and we are trying this out in sand box.

I gave you that "batch job" situation as an example.

I love to learn new feature and test it out.It comes handy you might need it even though you have well maintained PRODUCTION SYSTEMS.YOU NEVER KNOW.

Thanks,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ram,

Sorry I missed the fact that you had mentioned that you are testing in sandbox environment. My mistake.

The feature you have mentioned of manual operation switch is not new as such.Has been there for a while.

Coming back to your query manual switch is possible at any time and the steps you have taken are correct. Check this also:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/c4/3a5f60505211d189550000e829fbbd/content.htm

>In the previous thread I had asked you to check OSS note 12930 but you mentioned that you dont have access to it . This is what the note says:

Note 12930 - Operation mode switch does not work

Note Language: Version: 4 Validity: valid since 26.04.1996

PDF Download Corrections Compare Versions SSCR

Go to SAP Note: Display

Content: Summary | Header Data | Releases | Related Notes

Summary

Symptom

Key word: Operation modes, Operation mode change

The operation mode change does not work. In the Control Panel (RZ03), instances are indicated by "configured incorrectly" or "operation mode, work processes, and so on differ". In the case of a manual operation mode change, the message appears: "no change, incompatible condition: see Status Details."

Additional key words

Cause and prerequisites

For a successful operation mode change, the instances (regarding the start profile, the instance profile and total of the work processes must be defined identically in the operation mode definition. Work processes are changed in their types during an operation mode change: i.e., from dialog to batch.

A change in the total number of work processes or of the profile is not possible within the framework of an operation mode change, since that would require a complete system restart.

Solution

The instance descriptions must be completed and/or made consistent. This is achieved most simply by copying the actual state of the instances already started into their instance descriptions. You copy the actual state for all instances in all operation modes and then for the different instances change only the work process planning of their instances.

Recommended procedure:

1) Copy the actual state of the instance already started for all

instances in all operation modes. (This makes all operation

modes identical).

RZ04 -> Double click on Operation mode -> Double click on Instance

-> Key "Actual state" -> Save instance

-> Save operation mode

2) Test whether the switch functions between the now identical

operation modes

RZ03 -> Choose op.mode -> Change operation mode

3) Change work process planning of instances of the operation modes

RZ04 -> Double click on Operation mode -> double click on Instance

-> cursor on Process number (e.g., background)

-> Key "More" or key "Less" changes the number

-> Save instance

-> Save op. mode

Recommendations for setting the work process planning:

1) The total number of work processes must remain constant.

Therefore, the number of dialog processes can only be

implicitly changed.

It changes automatically if the number of other process types

is changed.

2) The total number of dialog processes in an instance should not

drop below 2.

3) Background processing is subject to an automatic load

distribution procedure. Additional BTC processes are occupied by

jobs which were not planned for a certain application server.

The number of BTC processes in the central BTC instance

("rdisp/btcname") must at least be 1.

When changing the operation mode, a change of the number of BTC

processes between 0 and greater than 0 is allowed.

4) The updating so far has not been subject to an automatic load

distribution procedure.

The number of update processes in an instance, which is

addressed as an update program by other instances

("rdisp/vbname"), must be greater than 0.

Update processes, on the other hand, which are not addressed as

an update program by any instances, are not useful because

they are not occupied.

When changing the operation mode, a change of the number of

update processes between 0 and greater than 0 is therefore not

useful.

5) The number of enqueue processes should be 1 in the central ENQ

instance and 0 otherwise. Only in very large configurations

( > 50 application servers) is a second enqueue process useful.

6) In connection with operation mode change, SPOOL work processes

must not be changed under any circumstances !!!

Source code corrections

Header Data

Release Status: Released for Customer

Released on: 25.04.1996 22:00:00

Priority: Correction with low priority

Category: Customizing

Primary Component: BC-CCM-CNF-OPM Operation Modes

Releases

Release Independant

Also check if you find any entries in SM21 for the operation mode switch.

Btw what release of SAP are you on and what is the SP level?

Regards.

Ruchit

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

I got R3 4.70.Basis component SAP_BASIS 6.20 Level 0011.

Thanks for that note.Note tell us how to manually switch app server to operation mode.Which already i havde done.Now, what i really need to know

how do i bring back my app server to its original state.

When manual switch is possible.I am sure this feature should be also possible.

But i just don't know how to do that.I searched in help portal.But no clue.

Thanks

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

As you have mentioned i can go with operation mode table for "normal operations:.

But let us say, i have an emergency request to kick off mutiple batch jobs.I would like to dedicate my secondary app servers to take care of that.

Using this new approach i can immediately switch my appserver to run on this specific operation mode.

Thx

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Rama didnot get your point completely.

I really dont know if you are pretty much experienced in SAP but the approach you are suggesting is adhoc and not really good for productive environments.

Any SAP operation is related to business needs.

In your case you say that if there are too many jobs then you can do an operation mode switch. Well I would sayu mmm.. will work but not so good a line of thought.

Now I were in your place I would do the following:

The number of background jobs would not really increase out of blues. There will be reasons for this and they will be linked to business. For example month end closing.

Now I will first find out from which date to which date month end closing would be done. Then I will create a speccial operation mode for those days and then will adjust the settings so as to ensure that there is automatic switch in those critical days.

Next increasing background processes suddenly because there are a lot of background jobs will mean number of dialog processes has to be reduced. Wont it affect the users ? I mean operation mode switches shouldd not occur in production work times.

I would rather decrease the backgound process that are reserved for Job class A so as to ensure that more processes are free for all kinds of jobs.

Also coming to mutiple application servers. Ideally there no need of dedicating servers to a specific type of activity.For example back ground processessing as suggested by you. Let SAP message server and dispatcher take care of this unless you have jobs that you think will have too much of data access time and need bettter resources like CPUs which you can run on server with best hardware.

Even if you want dedicated servers for back ground processing follow a streamlines approach for operation mode switch and not something which you are planning to do. It is something like hell we have a fire already now we need to fetch water. Water should always be on the side.

Let me assure that with even these precautions system performance is gonna give you some tough times but will be much much better than adhoc processes.

Hope you will take the advice in positive sense.

Wish you all the luck.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rama,

Please go to SM63 and change the operation mode back to normal for the interval for which the current operation mode is different.

Check this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/c4/3a5f46505211d189550000e829fbbd/content.htm

I think by bouncing you mean restarting. Restarting is not needed.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

sm63 did not help.Bcoz, i don't see the operation mode "BATCH_RUN" listed there.

<u>How did i switch my app srvr to this operation mode "BATCH_RUN"?</u>

I ran transaction code rz03.

1.Choose operation mode (Chosen "BATCH_RUN")

2.Select the app server from the list and clicked control-->switch operation mode --> selected servers,

Now, when i ran sm50 i noticed my app server got wps runnig as per "BATCH_RUN" defn.

now how do i turn off this op mode "BATCH_RUN" for this app server?

Thanks

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rama,

New approach.. Why don't you try to follow this approach for normal operation mode.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to add this note as well.

I noticed when i bounce that app server the operation mode is going and the app server got wps as defined in the instance profile.

But i need to turn off the operation mode with out bouncing the app server.

Thx

Ram