cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager Key Not Valid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I just took over our development SAP system, and we are trying to set up a new 2004 SR1 ECC Instance - but all the keys I generate with our 3.2 Solution Manager come back with "The Solution Manager key 'key-here' is not valid. Please enter the correct key.

Can someone advise me on the next step. If I need to patch solution manager, can you tell me how I can do that, now that SAP won't allow direct downloading of patches?

Or, could someone generate a key for me? Here are the details:

SAP ERP 2004 SR1 ECC Instance for an ABAB system on MSSQL 2000

SAP System ID: ECC

Server Name: ECC

Instance Number: 01

Message Server: DBS

Thanks a million!

Mike

Message was edited by:

Michael Casale

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

[...]

> Can someone advise me on the next step. If I need to

> patch solution manager, can you tell me how I can do

> that, now that SAP won't allow direct downloading of

> patches?

You still can - select them, add them to your download basked, open the download basked with the link and download them. No SolMan necessary.

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

So are you saying that I must patch my solution manager?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No - you need no SolMan to download patches for your ERP 2004 system.

--

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Additionally what you wrote there doesn't make sense.

Your message server runs on your central instance, if you have only one, then your message server is ECC (if that's the server name) and not DBS, that may be the SID of your database...

--

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information about the message server - what you are saying is that it will need to point to itself...

That may be why the key generated is failing. I'll try generating the key again with the correct message server.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes - that may be the reason let me know!

Former Member
0 Kudos

YES!!!

It was the message server - I set it to ECC in the Solution Manager, regenerated a key and the install accepted the key.

Thanks a million for your help guys.

Guys - just one more question - is there a series of books you recommend for a novice admin like myself, working for a small software company which won't hire consultants, that will help me quickly learn how these systems are set up and run? Not an expert level - just enough information so the next time I see Solution Manager I'll know what a message server is?

Thanks again!

Mike

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great to hear it works

The books from SAPPress are usually pretty good, check

<a href="http://www.sappress.com/library.cfm?account=&library=H1972">http://www.sappress.com/library.cfm?account=&library=H1972</a>

for a complete library - and there specifically "SAP R/3 System Administration", this will explain a lot of fundamentals about architecture.

--

Markus