cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting multiple Application Servers

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have 4.7 system has 2 application servers as "sap1" and "sap2" installed in different Unix servers.

I would like to start "sap1" first and "sap2" next. Is there any standard script for starting multiple application servers in a sequence. We have problem, when restarting servers after weekly off-line backup. Should we go for customised Unix shell scripting?.

Thanks,

Sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

I think Ben is correct. STARTSAP allows you to specify the instance number that you want to start but in your case you need to run the script first for SAP1 and then for SAP2. Single run of script wont support this.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for quick reply..Is there any generic script available? I just want to customise for me.

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sam,

Check startsap in the kernel directory. This is the standard SAP script for starting SAP.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

I meant unix script for starting both application servers one by one..

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Sam, didnot get you. sapstart is a shell script for Unix environments. What specifically are you looking for?

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

I don't think it's a good idea for one script to start multiple app servers. I think you want to reduce some manual work? But running the SAP standard script 'startsap' twice is not that complex. In other words, you make the simple thing complicated....

Why the one-step run script is not recommended? Because you must ensure that the central instance is started successfully once after you run the script startsap. Even you have a command in the script to detect this, it cannot be 100% garanteed that the CI is started without any errors. In other hand, the command to detect CI status is not 100% stable. You cannot easily control it when it meets error.

The best way is you monitor it yourself.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

Thanks.. we added couple of lines in startsap shell script ( for central instance), sothat it starts another application server.

( This became necessary as out offline Full backup completes by morning 6:00 am on Sunday. manual intervention is no good.)

Awarded points..

Thanks,

Sam

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no SAP standard script... You have to use customized Unix shell script.

Regards

Ben