Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input field validation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have three input fields in my form.

I want to check if the value entered by the user exists in my backend(BW system) for the validation. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?

Else please could you gimme some suggestions for the input validation.

Should this be done in the VC or BW?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ..

Can u please explain in details as to how to connect the RFC's with the BW backend ... and where do this RFC come into picture ??? In BW or in VC ......

Pratima.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vaishali ,

Since you have to validate the value , this means as soon as the user enters something it has to go to BW backend and get checked .

In that scenario you have to make use RFC (BAPI) or Webservice ( which you can make out of BAPIS).

Thanx

Pankaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj,

as i'm new on VC. How to place this validation via RFC?

I have created an view with some input fields. On submit an RFC is called wich do some validation. In order to the returnvalue of the RFC the inputform has to be displayed again (for instance with a short message) or the next view for displaying the detailed data has to be shown.

How can i build these "validation-loop" in VC ?

Thanks for any tipps.

Best regards,

André

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vaishali

Depending on the restrictions that u had given, i think u can use a Web Service for input validation. That should be a good option.......

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want validate your input then write an ABAP RFC for validation, this is in most cases faster then validation in VC.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've not worked in ABAP RFC...and i have to use VC only.

help please

former_member4251
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vaishali,

You have to create a validation rule that allow only to use input fields according the BW datasource, but for this i recommend you to create an RFC, because that's is the way to read the information in the BW system or any backend and validate the match

Also, you can do a direct 1:1 validation, but if you have a change in the source you will have to edit and compile the model again and again and again... so RFC is faster & better!

Also, you can use combobox or Radiogroup or value help... but you have to select one option to limit the "end-user creativity" to fill the input field

HTH, Regards,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have you thought about using Comboboxes (DropdownListBoxes) instead of input fields? When you use Comboboxes you can restrict the set of valid input options to the set of values you have in your backend system. (Find more information in the <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/43/27e31bede23fe1e10000000a11466f/frameset.htm">SAP Library</a>).

Best regards,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

As per the requirement i cant use dropdown...I need to use input field only...could you suggest a validation using input field only.