cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does MMC require my network password to start J2EE engine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, we recently upgraded our developers from NWDS 04 sp13 to NWDS 04s sp9. Each developer has a local J2E engine on their laptop for local testing.

With NWDS 04 the developer was able to open MMC, right-click on the J2E node and choose start to start the engine. There was no requirement for a password.

Since we've installed 04s, developers must enter their network password before MMC will start the engine.

I have checked the configuration of the Services on a 04 installation and a 04s installation. So far, I can't tell any difference but I'm not sure what all to look for.

If it was just a matter of having to enter the password when starting the engine it wouldn't be a big deal. However, because it requires the network login/password it means the engine gets 'confused' anytime I disconnect from the network (to move laptop from one meeting to another for example) and I have to stop the engine and then start it again. That's at least a 20-40 minute process.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, do you know how I can get back to the 04 behavior? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hope this note answers your Question.

Note 927637 - Web service authentication in sapstartsrv as of Release 7.00

Thanks,

Tanuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tanuj. That DOES explain it.

I can understand the reasoning for asking for the login credentials when starting. I'm just curious why the engine gets 'messed up' if I disconnect from the network and then connect again. But that's a question for another post.

Thanks again!

former_member110461
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yet bizzarely if you just script it in a batch file you don't need any passwords. So we tend to use them instead.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul, would you mind sharing HOW you script it? It would be extremely helpful to us if we could have our developers do it that way then. Maybe then we all wouldn't have to restart our engine everytime we dis/reconnect from/to network.

Thanks!

David

former_member110461
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is one for EP on Win 2003 with Oracle as the DB.

cd \usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\run

stopsap name=SID nr=00 sapdiahost=localhost

stopsap name=SID nr=01 sapdiahost=localhost

That stops j2ee.

You can then use net stop servicename to stop the SAP services and then oracle / db services if you want to stop them too.

To start - do net start servicename.

replace stopsap with startsap.

Hope that makes sense.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very cool. I'm looking at this for our local engines which are using MaxDB but I imagine the process would be much the same.

I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot Paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul, I'm trying your suggestion. I think there must be something else required.

First of all, because I'm trying this on my local machine (Netweaver Developer Workplace installed on Windows 2000) I had to go to folder "\usr\sap\[mySID]\SYS\exe\uc\NTI386".

I ran the following command "startsap name=J2E nr=00 sapdiahost=localhost"

Then I went into MMC just to see if it was going to show up as having started. After awhile things started turning yellow but then it all went back to gray. I looked at the Developer Trace and found that it looked a little different than when I try to start the engine from the MMC. Here are the first few lines from the Developer Trace when I do it from MMC and when I do it from command line. Note that the command line attempt seems to be missing some parameters.

Is there a way to specify those extra parameters at the command line?

Thanks. David.

DEVELOPER TRACE FROM <b>MMC ATTEMPT:</b>

-

trc file: "C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\work\dev_server0", trc level: 1, release: "700"

-

node name : ID7687850

pid : 5168

system name : J2E

system nr. : 00

started at : Mon May 14 17:03:34 2007

arguments :

arg[00] : C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\exe\jlaunch.exe

arg[01] : pf=C:\usr\sap\J2E\SYS\profile\J2E_JC00_TAG146849

arg[02] : -DSAPINFO=J2E_00_server

arg[03] : pf=C:\usr\sap\J2E\SYS\profile\J2E_JC00_TAG146849

DEVELOPER TRACE FROM <b>MANUAL ATTEMPT:</b>

-

trc file: "C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\work\dev_jcontrol", trc level: 1, release: "700"

-

node name : jcontrol

pid : 3272

system name : J2E

system nr. : 00

started at : Fri May 18 08:04:10 2007

arguments :

arg[00] : C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\exe\jcontrol.EXE

arg[01] : pf=C:\usr\sap\J2E\SYS\profile\J2E_JC00_TAG146849

but there is nothing in that directory

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Opened OSS message

former_member110461
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It seems as if SAP have added this as a security feature.

Don't know how to get rid of it though.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

That might be. I'd love to hear official word from SAP about it though. In that vein, I just opened an OSS Message regarding this.

I'm going to mark this closed but if someone DOES know the answer please feel free to answer and I'll reopen and award you points.

Once I hear back from SAP I'll update this.

Thanks!