cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different CVCs in same POS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to have different CVC's within the same POS if I wanted to have data at different levels? For example, I want CVC combinations for half of my products just at material and plant and for other products, I want material, plant and customer. If I used two different sources to create the CVCs in the same POS, can I achieve different CVC's within the same POS?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

One word answer would be NO.

Please note a CVC is an unique key for accessing data in keyfigures. There has to be be values in all the characteristics and there can one only unqie combinations.

Technically you can do something like this:

PROD1-PL01-DUMMY

PROD2-PL01-DUMMY

PROD2-PL02-DUMMY (value for customer is Dummy)

And then

PROD3-PL01-CUST1

PROD3-PL01-CUST2

PROD4-PL01-CUST1

PROD4-PL02-CUST1

PROD4-PL01-CUST2

PROD4-PL02-CUST2

The first set of CVCs can be generated from one Infocube where say data is there at Product and Plant level only but you need an ehancement to populate the DUMMY value for Customer characteristic.

The second set of CVCs can be generated from another infocube where the data is at Product, Plant and Customer level.

However I don't know the business requirement. You may be better off using two POS for the two sets of products. That way you are not bothered about populating the DUMMY value for the first set of products.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greate answer Somnath. Jiooooooo

Satyajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Somnath. What I understand from CVC generation is that it generates combinations of characteristics in the POS that have a transaction value in the source cube. You cannot restrict the system to create CVCs using only some of the characteristics in the POS and then use another source to use remaining or other combination of chars. to generate CVCs.

As Somnath said, the best thing to do is to use different POSs.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

the problem with two POS is that you would end up with two planning areas one for each POS. This would come with its own headaches.

You can generate a CVC from sources that are not cubes too. As long as your characteristic fields are not empty you can create anything. If you dont have a characterisitc value any substitute value would do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harish, but he is talking about generating two different CVCs with the same POS using few of them at a time.Is that possible? It's a very strange business case may be!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry if i got it wrong. I saw the example in which he says

"I want CVC combinations for <b>half of my products</b> just at material and plant and for <b>other</b> products, I want material, plant and customer"

Also the example given in my earlier post and somnaths example show that products are different

As long as there is a different value in even one of the characterisitc values it will form a different CVC.

(Whats not a good POS structure would be

ProdA- LocationA-CustA

Product A-LocationA-Dummy)

But he will have to be careful with the filters and be aware there are Dummies which might not make sense in some levels

I believe the scenario he talks would make sense when, say, you have a care of a few Major customers who, you want to plan with and a few minor customers whom you would not be bothered to plan by but still cannot afford to neglect the cumlative effect on the other characterisitics such as prod or loaction. Does this seem like a good case?

whom you want to bundle as say "others" and plan that way. I suppose we shold wait for james to get back on why he wants it done this way. (sometimes it helps to explain the business case to get a larger set of options from the forum)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I am trying to do is to reduce 2 planning areas into 1 planning area without increasing the number of total CVC's. In planning area 1, I have product, location, ship-to and sold-to. In the second planning area, I have only product and material. I want to combine the two planning areas so that the users will have one book to view. This will also eliminate the failure point of transferring data from one planning area to the other one. If I can not use one POS, is it possible have the ship-to and sold-to as navigational attributes of location and still be able to load data at the customer level?

What I am looking for is one POS with the characteristics location, material and customer for some of the products and location and material only for other products.

I hope this explains what I am trying to achieve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Now I am completely confused! I guess you need to get some clarification.

Planning Object Structures have only Characteristics like your customer, solt-to-party etc.

Planning Area has only key figures like forecast, history, correction etc.

You can create a planning book based on planning area, ofcourse a planng area has reference to POS.

"I am trying to do is to reduce 2 planning areas into 1 planning area without increasing the number of total CVC's. In planning area 1"

CVCs have nothing to do with planning area. They are only with POS.

"I want to combine the two planning areas so that the users will have one book to view."??/

Here is what I understand, you have two POS one with product, location, ship-to and sold-to and other with only product and material. Becasue you have two different POS, you have two different PAs and planning books.

If you are creating the CVCs for both the POSs froms ame cube, you could combine the POS and there by the PAs and PBs.

Please let me kow if I understood you correctly.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I totally agree with the comments about 2 separate planning areas. The downside of using one POS (planning area) is that the total number of CVC's could increase significantly since I would be adding another characteristic (actually 2). Today, there are ~300K each planning area. Do you think that it is worth it to create a dummy input for the additional characteristic?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you understood me correctly. The reason we have 2 planning areas is that we have 2 POS. the goal it to get to one POS with the minimal number of total CVC's (CVC's for 1 POS is < CVC's for 2 POS).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that I found what I was looking for. I wanted to reduce two POS to one. The 1st POS have 3 characteristics and the 2nd one only has 2. I would create one POS with the 3 characteristics. When I load the data that only uses 2 characteristics, I would load it at an aggregated level. For example, I have the following char. brand, location and product. I can load the data with only 2 char at the product and location characteristic. I would load nothing at the brand level.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any specific reason to do this?

You can use OTHER or some such value for the blanks.

so your first half will have

PROD- PLANT- CUSTOMER

ProdA - Plant 1- OTHER

ProdB- Plant 2 - OTHER

the second half will be

ProdC- Plant 1 - CUSTX

ProdC- Plant 2 - CUSTY