Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Restrictions by Cost and Profit Center Groups

Former Member
0 Kudos

We just upgraded BW to 7.0 2004S. We are just beginning to use BW for Controlling and Profit Center Accounting analysis. We have been using R/3 for nine years and would like to implement BW security in a similar manner to our R/3 security.

Federal law prohibits employees in certain areas of our companies from seeing other areas. We have set up our standard hierarchies for cost centers and profit centers to reflect this setup. These hierarchies are not used for reporting, but are merely used as security filters in the system. Numerous alternate hierarchies are used for reporting. If you only have security for some of the cost/profit centers in an alternate hierarchy, you get only that part of the hierarchy. Sometimes individual cost/profit centers or ranges are used instead of hierarchies. Everything works like a charm with no custom programming, just SAP delivered role-based functionality using Responsiblity Area in K_CCA and K_PCA.

Can this be done in BW 7.0 2004S? If so, how? Replies from those familiar with the new security features would be greatly welcomed.

1 REPLY 1

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have not yet had our hands on the BI7, but I have scanned through the e-learning and realized that BI7 contains a lot of new security features.

I would recommend the e-learning:

<b>An Expert Guide to new SAP BI Security Features</b>

<i>Discover how security has been improved in the latest release of SAP NetWeaver BI. This session delves into new security concepts and resources and offers frank, indispensable advice to help you address security challenges within your current SAP BW environment. See how you can change security settings on the fly without having to log off every user. Determine whether or not you would realize benefits from the ability to secure an unlimited number of fields and objects. Find out easier and more flexible ways to apply authorizations on hierarchies and hierarchy nodes without extensive mapping.</i>

Dont know if URL will work:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/media/uuid/ac7d7c27-0a01-0010-d5a9-9cb9d...

//freppe