cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using exception aggregation to replace calculation before aggregation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have read the help.sap.com documentation for exception aggregation, but I must be missing something because I have not yet created a CKF using exception aggregation that can take the place of my CKF's that use "Time of Calculation" before aggregation.

Using the example that has been posted on this very topic in the thread, 'Time of Calculation "Before Aggregation" obsolete in NW2004S', could someone give me an example of the CKF's necessary to replace the old calculation before aggregation CKF? Our problem is so similar to this example that I think an answer here will help us replace our Before Aggregation calculations. Using this example I have successfully created a CKF that will display the right numbers for us, but only if I also display each Order number. When I remove the Order characteristic from the row to show only the totals or show them by Plant I no longer have the correct totals. My good numbers go away and I get 0 or 1 depending on how I defined my CKF. I am defining my CKF's as global CKFs on a MultiProvider defined on an ODS.

I'll repeat the very nice example from the thread I mentioned here.

I have a specific requirement to provide aging buckets of orders. At the cube level, I have written the difference in days.

Order..........Days Open.......QTY........Plant

123.............25....................5............A

456.............40...................10...........A

780.............15.....................8...........A

743.............20...................14...........B

In my query I want to show:

Plant..........QTY < 30 days.........QTY > 30 days

A................13...........................10

B................14............................0

Previously I would use a formula to calculate prior to aggregation that would look something like ('Days Open < 30)*QTY.

Thanks for your help,

Jeri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The light finally dawned. In BI 7.0 you are able to define a calculated key figure with after aggregation that is summed in reference to a characteristic. We didn't have the option of choosing a reference characteristic with BW 3.5 when simply summing a key figure so what was not possible with BW 3.5 becomes possible with BI 7.0.

Anyone having problems with this could define a calculated key figure similar to the BW 3.5 calculated key figure, but instead of specifying the time of calculation to be before aggregation, specify that you want a total with reference to a characteristic and then specify after aggregation. I tried this on some of our calculated key figures that used the before aggregation and the new method is giving me the correct answers.

former_member192142
Contributor
0 Kudos

@Jeri:

You saved my day - I tried your suggestion and it works perfectly. Why couldn't SAP just write that in their OSS note on the subject.

Thanks you for sharing - some people just write "I solved it" without giving the solution - when I come across such a thread I get really annoyed 🐵

Thanks,

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

It works!!!!! Very good explanation!!!!, thank you very much for your contribution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day

I know I am replying to an answered thread, but I have no other option at this stage..

You'ev mentioned: "specify that you want a total with reference to a characteristic and then specify after aggregation. I tried this on some of our calculated key figures that "

What do you mean by this? I just cannot get my totals fixed?

Please assist?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jeri,

I have a calculated key figure in my BEx 3.5 query with time of calculation to be before aggregation.

You suggest "... instead of specifying the time of calculation to be before aggregation, specify that you want a total with reference to a characteristic and then specify after aggregation."

But where can I specify that I want a total with reference to a certain characteristic in BEx 3.5 Query Desinger?

Regards

Hiza

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue, but when I change the property to After Aggregation and keep Exception Aggregation as TOTAL and reference characteristic as Hierarchy Info Object then the totals is not matching. Can you please advise me how can I proceed further.

Please let me know if you require any other information.

Thanks

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you have any luck solving this?

We're facing a similar problem in that virtually every query we've got uses 'before aggregation'. If we want to stop using BEx Analyzer 3.x and take advantage of the NW2004 changes, we need to be able to replicate this functionality.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet got access to the NW2004 designer to try anything out, but from what I've read, there are two options:

- Use the 3.x queries as data providers to NW2004 queries

- Use Exception Aggregation

If I've understood what I've read correctly, your example above should calculate the required 'before aggregation' if the 'exception aggregation' for the CKF/formula was set up to reference the 'Order' characteristic.

Of course, I'm guessing in practice it's not that simple.