cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create JCO Destination -> null pointer Exception

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried to create a JCO Destination through portal, and when i click <i>Create JCo Destination</i> i am getting a null pointer exception. the error stack is

<i>java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.serverimpl.wdc.sl.SystemLandscapeFactory.checkStatus(SystemLandscapeFactory.java:991)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.services.sal.sl.api.WDSystemLandscape.checkStatus(WDSystemLandscape.java:469)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.tools.sld.NameDefinition.updateJCODestinations(NameDefinition.java:285)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.tools.sld.NameDefinition.updateNavigation(NameDefinition.java:250)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.tools.sld.NameDefinition.wdDoInit(NameDefinition.java:157)

... 45 more

</i>

Whats going wrong? Any one can help me?

Thanks.

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkatraman,

Configure SLD for JCo and Creation of JCo Destinations

To create JCo connections you need to configure SLD (System Landscape Directory) first and then create JCo destinations.

First let’s see as how to configure SLD.

Start Visual Administrator.

To start it

1) Go to Server Installed path i.e. usr\sap\<systemid>\<systeminstance>\J2ee\admin

2) Choose go.bat and start it.

3) Under Global Server Configuration, choose <Serverid>.

4) Choose Services under it.

5) Find SLD Data Supplier.

6) Under System Landscape Directory select HTTP Settings.

7) Give all the required fields like Host Name, Port Number, User Name and Password.

8) Similarly choose CIM Client Generation Settings and give Host Name, Port Number, User Name and Password.

9) You can test the SLD is configured properly or not. Just click CIM Client Test.

10) Save the settings and close Visual Administrator.

Now that you have configured SLD through Visual Administrator, we can create JCo Connections. To create JCo connections

1) You will need Super Administrator permissions to create JCo’s.

2) Log on to the Portal.

3) Go to Content Administration &#61664; Web Dynpro

4) Since we have configured SLD, now we can see a button to “Create JCo Destination”. Click it

5) Now you can observe Create new JCo Destination on right side panel.

6) Give the Following Details.

a) General Data:

Name: Give the name of JCo

Client: Give the Client number to which system you want to create JCo for. Click Next.

b) J2EE Cluster: Check the Use Local J2EE engine. Click Next.

c) Connection Type: Select Dictionary Meta Data. Click Next.

d) Application Server Connection: Select the existing Message Server and Logon Group.

It might sometimes happen that Message Server and Logon Group is not configured to configure them, follow the process

For Message Server:

i. Log on to SDL through portal i.e. http://<servername>:<portnumber>/sld

ii. Choose Technical System. Click it.

iii. You will observe New Technical System button, click it.

iv. System Type: Select Web AS ABAP , if you want to connect to R/3 System and incase you are using Java application use Web AS Java

v. General: Log on to R/3 System through SAP Log on pad. Go to System &#61664; Status, check for SID, Installation Number and Database Host Name.

vi. Central Servers: Give Host Name and Port Number and Instance Number.

For Logon Group:

i. Click on Add New Logon Group, this will open a row in the table.

ii. Log on to R/3 through Logon pad and get Logon Groups ids and the transaction code is “SMLG”.

vii. Application Servers: Click on Add Application Server and then give Host Name and Instance Number of R/3 System.

viii. Clients: Give Client number (System id) and Logical Client Name (which we can get from SMLG code). And click finish.

7) Message Server Connection:

i. Name: Give the logon name of R/3 System

ii. Password & Confirm Password: Give appropriate password of R/3 System.

8) Click Finish.

regards

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Venkat,

It seems that either your SLD is stopprd or You have not configured your SLD.

Check it out status of your SLD at,

http://<Server Host>:<port>/sld

Let me know about the status of your SLD.

Regards,

Bhavik

luciano_leitedasilva
Contributor
0 Kudos

Venkat,

What is the system version and support package? Have you configurated the SLD before? Is the SLD running?

Regards,

Luciano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Thank you very much for the replies.

The system version and support package are: <b>7.00 patchlevel 107179.42</b>

And the SLD is also running. The problem i think might be is because the SLD is running in the system and it mentions the host as <i><b>abc.def.sap.corp</b></i>. But when i try to access the SLD from the IE as <i><b>abc.def.sap.corp:5##000/sld</b></i> iam getting a page cannot be displayed message. However, when i try to access the SLD as <i><b>abc:5##000/sld</b></i> i can access the sld.

what is going wrong here?

Regards

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check in sld screen. Administration -> Server settings -> Object server. Check and change the appropraite host name there. I think it is from there the sld server status is checked.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its fine that your SLD is running,

<i>But have you checked that you have configured in SLD settings in Visual Administrator,</i>

<b>To check:</b>

1. Open Webdynpro Content Administartor

2. Click on the button 'Start Assigned SLD'

<i>If you are not able to run your SLD from here, then taht means you have not configured ur SLD in Visual Admin</i>.

<b>To Cofigure</b>

look at the Anil Dichpally's reply above to the post.

Test again & create JCO's after configuration.

Good Luck!!!

Regards

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all thank you very much for your replies...

The SLD is started and i am able to see the status as <i>Running</i>

The problem i think might be in the host name given in the SLD configuration which has the fully qualified system name, say <i>abc.def.sap.corp</i>. This one i saw when i clicked the <i>Check SLD Connection</i> in the Web Dynpro Content Administrator.

But, from my development system, iam not able to access/ping the server as <i>abc.def.sap.corp:5##000</i>. However i am able to access it as <i>abc:5##000</i>.

If i change the host name in the Visual Administrator's SLD Supplier service as just <i>abc</i> instead of the fully qualified system name, will the problem gets solved? I can't test this because its a clients' machine and i don't have access for the visual administrator.

Thank you once again for all your replies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The best way is to remove the SLD. Do the SLD configuration with the name you want and try creating JCO again because no one can assure that change in visual admin alone will be sufficient. Did u check the server setting as I specified?

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked the server settings as you had mentioned. It contains just the system name. i.e <i>abc</i>. However if we change the hostname in the CIM Client Generation Settings of the SLD data supplier(in Visual admin) the change reflects in the web dynpro content administration. I verified this in one of our local servers.

Thanks,

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is abc.def.sap.corp the fully qualified name for reverse proxy (I mean can it be accessed using internet) ? If so, don't access with port number. Just abc.def.sap.corp/sld will do. Then u won't get 'Page can't be displayed' error. Then try creating JCO connection. If that doesn't work, I would suggest u to remove the SLD and reconfig it.

Regards,

Harini S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Venkat,

Can you do one thing,

Please check the fully qualified name you are using, I want to check why you are not able to ping using fully qualified name.

Please provide the output of the DOS command

><i><b>ping abc</b></i> (ping <HostName>

Lets see what do you get as the result,

Regards

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

This problem can be resolved by specifying only <b>abc</b> as host name in SLD data supplier service.

Another option:

On the server make and entry for hostname - IP mapping in hosts file for <b>abc</b> as well as full name.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Regards,

Bhavik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this problem resolved?

If so, would you please share the solution?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was not able to find out the problem.

However I installed a new server and tried and it worked for me.

Regards,

Venkat