cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing MDME 5.5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm just a beginner in MDME 5.5, and i have some problems in the install process. This is the steps that i take:

1 - Install the Oracle Server

3 - Create the database with character set WE8MSWIN1252

2 - Install the Oracle client (in the same server)

3 - Install the MDME Server

4 - Install the MDME Console.

After install and reboot the machine, i open the MDME console, locate and start the server. Then i try to create a repository, or enter the DBMS setting: it display the "select DBMS server" dialog. I select the server, the login (system) and password for the DBMS.

But then it displays the message: " Error initializing database engine" and " Cannot get DBMS settings from server".

In log there is: "ERROR CODE=12514 ||| ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor"

There is a listener activate, and configured for port 1521. I know than i'm doing some mistake, but can someone help me? please!

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the extract from the install guide page 6. If you have followed all the steps detailed in here then you should be able to get it working. Thanks!

Configuring an Oracle DBMS

MDME Server can connect to an Oracle 9.2.x DBMS.

1. MDME Server supports only the following character set on the Oracle database:.“WE8MSWIN1252”.

2. Install Oracle and Create a Database

a. Install the Oracle DBMS software. You may be installing both DBMS and Client portions of Oracle if you plan to host Oracle on the same machine as MDME. If the DBMS will reside on another host machine, the MDME engine will require only the Oracle Client software to be installed. On a fresh install of Oracle on a Windows platform, be sure to reboot the machine so that the MDME service can inherit the Oracle “Path” from the system.

b. If you have the opportunity to “create a database” during a complete install, avoid the automatic or typical creation and take the steps manually. Set the Character Set to a supported value as detailed in item 1.

c. If you do not have a database that uses one of the supported character sets, create one.

3. On the MDME host run the Oracle Network Configurator to identify the DBMS to Oracle clients. In this case the MDME Server is an Oracle client.

4. Run the Oracle client utility SQLPlus (or SQLPlus worksheet) to determine which character set the MDME engine should use.

a. After connecting to the DBMS run the following query:

select VALUE from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where PARAMETER='NLS_CHARACTERSET'

b. The result will tell with what character set the database was built. If it is not one of the character sets mentioned in Step 1, then you will have to create a new database with an acceptable character set.

c. Find the mds.Ini file located in the same directory as the mds.exe (MDME Server) and, using a text editor, add a line similar to the following line in the top section of mds.Ini, just below the “[MDME Server]” line:

Oracle NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA. WE8MSWIN1252

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deshpande.

I read the installation guide and your reply, however I continue with problems to use MDME. I install the DBMS and client ORACLE, create the database, install the MDME SERVER and CONSOLE, but still can´t create a repository.

Does i have to configure something in the DATABASE to create repository?

Thanks for help!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member278106
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rodrigo,

On the MDME machine you should also install Oracle client and configure tnsnames.ora.

If you tried to work with MDME console on the server machine, than the problem is in the client configuration

on this machine. Check how service name is written in the

tnsnames.ora file. It should be different from the hostname. When entering the DBMS server name in MDME console you should give the service name as it is in the tnsnames.ora file, but not hosname.

Regards, Lev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rodrigo,

Please create an OSS message with SAP Support using MDM-EXT component. If you are working on ramp-up customer then please enter 'RUMP5.5' at the beginning of short text.

Thanks,

Rahul