cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the installation of SAP WAS 6.40 machine specefic?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible that If I install the SAP WAS SP9 on one machine say (machine1)and then I could move the SAP related folders which wrere created during this installation into another machine say (machine 2) and have the installtion copy runing on the new machine.

What modificatins I need to do to acheive it

1)I have tried to rename all the file names and its entries for the machine name and IP address.but it doesnt work

I need to keep a backup of the complete installation

Any help and suggestion will be highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sai

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshasai,

Systemcopy does the copies the SAP System from one host to another excatly(with the same sid or different).

http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw04

Select <b>Installation</b>

Select <b>Homogeneous and Heterogeneous System Copy</b>

Go thru the guide.

regards

Anand.M

pranav
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Seshasai,

I want to perform a similar task. Did you succeed to copy the WAS system from one host to another. Please let me know the procedure that i need to follow in order to copy my WAS.

Thnaks and Regards,

Pranav

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seshasai,

If you copy the folders to other machine, It will now work. Use the <b>System Copy</b> method, which will work 100%.

regards

Anand.M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand

Thaks for the reply but what actually you mean by "System Copy" method.

Thanks

Seshasai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the procedure to make a system copy with Web AS 6.40 is well described in the dedicated guide:

Homogeneous and Heterogeneous System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP® Web Application Server 6.40

. You can find this document on the SAP Service Marketplace at the following address: http://service.sap.com/instguides -> SAP NetWeaver -> Release 04 -> Installation -> (in the right frame) SAP Web AS -> SAP Web AS 6.40 SR1 and Related Documentation -> Homogeneous and Heterogeneous System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP Web AS 6.40 SR1. (here's also a direct link, but I'm not sure if it works if accessed directly: https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000332442005E)

Hope that helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, it is machine dependent.

Once I installed it one machine and then tried to make an image of it in another one. Algouth I sucesfully done it it couse me a lot of headacke.

1. In addition to file entries you have database fields which are IP/hostname dependent. Rename them throw Config tool.

2. SAP installation has an enviroment variable whith is hostanme dependent, check that you changed it.

3. SDM stores all it's settings in a separte xml file. I don't know the proper way to manage it by find this file in SDM directory and change those fields.

5. Don't forget Install database on new machine

4. Try to seek for SAP notes on "copy image". I heard they have a tool for this process but actually I didn't find it.

Hope I remeber all the stpes and it helps you.

Best Regards.

Victor

Message was edited by: Victor Shafran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor

Thanks for the steps

I had changed many file entries for the IP/Hostname as well as renamed the profile files under "\usr\sap\J2E\SYS\profile" there were quite a number of files ,

You were talking about installing the database(Is it the exe which is kept under \MaxDB\NT\I386\SDBINST.exe)

I had infact copied all of the sapdb folder.

when i copied all the files I made sure that I have the same folder path in the other machine also.

Now to start the J2ee engine I invoked the jcontrol.exe file with the parameter for the start profile

C:\usr\sap\J2E\JC00\j2ee\os_libs\jcontrol.exe pf=C:\usr\sap\J2E\SYS\profile\J2E_JC00_ng151

When I execute the above command there is a exceoption in the "usr\sap\J2E\JC00\j2ee\cluster\server0\log\defaultTrace.0.trc" file

Any suggestion

Thanks

Sai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think it is enought to copy the folder of database. At least, it should be registerd as service(on Windows) and started. Try to start it manually and check if it works.

I used Microsoft SQL server, and it has it's own regisitry entries so there it is shurely not enought, to copy the folder, but for cross platform MaxDd it may work

Best Regrads,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Web AS is also directly dependent on the jdk version installed on your server. You will also need to ensure that the new server has identical jdk version, install path etc.

Copying files will probably not work on Windows because of registry entries. But even in Unix, I have not tried this, and cannot comment on the procedure. My only fear is that SAP may not support this new server in the future, unless you used SAP approved procedures to load WebAS on the new server.

Having said that, if you are able to make it work, please post the steps for our reference....

Regards,

Sanket

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanket

Thanks for replying

I even have the same JDK version

java version "1.4.2_08" in the same install path as of the original machine but even that is not working.

By the way could you eloborate more on

"My only fear is that SAP may not support this new server in the future, unless you used SAP approved procedures to load WebAS on the new server.

"

Thanks

Sai