cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI setting backup and restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to keep the SAPGUI setting and prevent users modify them. However all users in our company are local administrator, what can I do for that? Can I backup setting from registry and restore when Windows logon and how? Pleaes advice. Thank you!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

you may prevent even local administrators form modifying the registry through "Group Policies" in windows. But I don't think, you really want/need to do this since 'normal' users usually don't hack the registry

What you may want to "protect" is the "Saplogon.ini" so users won't add or delete systems.

First thing you can do is to check the box "Disable System Edit Functions" in the SAP Logon Configuration" (SAP-Logon, left mouse click in the upper left corner - options...).

Then you can put the "Saplogon.ini" onto a server share, where users can't change files and set the environment variable "SAPLOGON_INI_FILE" to point to that location.

Peter

--

Points always appreciated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not concerning about the saplogon.ini, as I can protect it. I'm concerning about the appearance setting (e.g. fonts, i18n). As we don't want users complain about cosmatic issue, so we want to restrict or easy to restore SAPGUI's appearance.

Anyway, your information also useful for us, but it only solve a small part about SAPGUI's outlook management.

Regards,

Henry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

sorry I missed your focus...

My personal experience is, that some degree of 'personal freedom' of the users concerning 'cosmetical' issues improves the acceptance of an application. Besides that, modifying font size, changing colors or using high contrast themes may help users having viewing problems... I'm sometimes surprised by the frightening giant fonts some users use, but they <b>need</b> it!

Fun is over when it comes to functionality! As to my experience it's only a fraction (may be 1%) of the users that "improve" their GUI to uselessness more than once If that happens, they get their GUI uninstalled, registry cleaned and a new install.

If you have more trouble with your users I recommend the following:

- if it's just a few reg-keys you need to 'protect' you can reset them every time the user logs on trough the login script using

shell.regwrite...

- if it's a bunch of keys you may use

shell.run "c:windowsregedit /s xxx.reg", 7, true

to import previous exported keys

- if you got a real problem with users tampering with the registry you can use the previous mentioned GP (disallow programs manipulating the registry). But I guess this causes you more trouble than it solves

That's it for me, may be you get some more hints by others...

Peter

--

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

If I need to backup the whole SAPGUI setting for the user, what registry should I backup? The whole tree of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAP\SAPGUI Front\SAP Frontend Server?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Henry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

whole Frontend Server tree would be a little bit too much. For example the last called TA codes are saved within this tree (branch "code").

I would start with:

HKCUSoftwareSAPSAPGUI FrontSAP Frontend ServerCustomize

In addition you want to backup:

HKCUSoftwareSAPGeneralAppearance

as themes and changes to them are stored here.

May be there are others, I don't know since we leave our users 'some' freedom for the reasons I stated above

Peter

--

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know which registry key control "Options (i18n)", content of "Graphic" and "Other" tab? Thank you!