cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU load on SAP DB and App server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I'm running SAP v4.6C on Oracle. Hardware is an IBM SAN. I am getting high CPU load on both production servers and cannot trace the source. Even when I shut down SAP and Oracle the CPU runs at approx 50%. I run process explorer to get more detail and it shows Hardware Interrupts as chewing up the CPU. A reboot gives temporary relief, but start SAP and it goes back up. There is a lot of paging, but that drops down low when SAP is stopped, and CPU stays high. Are there any hardware/OS gurus who could assist with where to start next.

Thanks

Gerg

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

which O.S. version r u using?? u r using windows or UNIX environment.

its just a matter of setting the Kernal parameters in terms of unix envi. and also it depends on u r parameters that u have setted in .ORA file.

so please tell us the o.s u r using.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

The OS is Windows 2000 server SP4

-Gerg

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the kernel time? Can you make a screenshot and post it somewhere?

Something is strange here:

as far I as know the System Idle Process (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_idle_process">see also here</a>) is not the problem, it indicates that the system has 97% of CPU free.

However, if SAP/DB are stopped and you have 97% idle, it contradicts to your information before.

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

additionally it will be very useful to check the system for viruses....

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's the interesting thing. Even though the System Idle is high, the CPU usage history in the Performance tab of Task Manager still hovers around 50-60%. The conclusion is that it is not a process as such, but hardware/driver issue. However I don't know how to isolate that -especially tricky on a Production server. Have checked for viruses and found none

Regards

Gerg

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How large is the kernel part of CPU usage?

When the problem started first time?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like the kernel is the majority of CPU usage. Is there a perfmon selection for this to monitor in Performance Monitor - I couldn't find one. Also in perfmon, the Interrupts/sec looks v. high - average >45000 (cf my file server where it is 1500 average.

-Gerg

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good.

Which time is the first occurrence?

Did you try <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830/en-us">Malicious Software Removal Tool</a>?

Does the system run latest patches/SPs/hardware drivers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure when the 1st occurrence happened, but App server has been now for a couple of months, DB server for a few weeks.

Haven't tried the Malicious SW removal tool - I'll give it a try

Latest patches and SPs (W2K-SP4) are installed. The hardware drivers have not changed for years as the hardware has not changed. However I suspect maybe a windows patch has affected the hardware driver. Still at a loss to find out which one. Thanks for the tips. I'll repost after trying these.

-Gerg

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gerg,

usually you should see which process consumes the TOP CPU in task manager.

Can you name it?

Second question is how large is kernel time compared to CPU usage.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yaroslav, the top CPU is System Idle (97%).

Regards

Gerg