Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload change-request file for weblog

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I have just saw and excellent weblog by Thomas Jung (ABAP 46C to 640 Delta Training), where he provided a link to download some 10M files. He gave me an idea. I am planning on posting weblogs with some iteresting components of mine, and providing the components themselves as downloadable change-request files. Therefore, I could have the entire weblog just for the idea, w/o boring step-by-step instructions on implementation.

How does this sound? Are there any drawbacks on change-request files?

How did Thomas do that? How can I upload some files (not neccessarily big ones) and link to them in a weblog?

Thanks!

Igor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can choose "Submit Content" in the top right hand corner of the SDN website. Then after it's published you can give the link in your weblog.

The file from Thomas is of course very interesting but the Transport file he gave with the upload is something we won't use unless it's a strictly test environment. Every company needs to protect themselves from potential security risks, not saying that Thomas would do something evil or anything but unless it's from SAP themsevles or supported by SAP or a company that is working directly for you most tend to avoid these items.

As for a weblog with simply a link to a download, what's the point? The weblog with those step by step instructions is the point, otherwise I would just go to the download section and download the file. The weblogs are a bit more than just a download. At least in my opinion. I take them for what they are a sharing of ideas and methods for accomplishing a task, an easy way to share code snippets and samples but not a finished product just to install, for that we have the "Downloads" section.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/downloadarea.sdn

Submit your components to the download section then tell us all about them in a weblog so we know how to try them out, just don't be upset if not too many people choose not to import them although I probably will I have my MiniWAS after all

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Craig!

Thanks for your thoughts!

First of all, I believe you got me wrong. I didn't plan on posting a weblog with just a link to a file without any other content. On contrary, I wanted to explain the idea, usage, examples with code snippets and all. On the other hand, I wanted to save people from pure manual work of creating structures, data elements, methods, method parameters etc. It's boring and time consuming. How should I give instructions on creating a class with 5 methods? Do I post 5 pictures with methods' parameters? It unneccessarily occupies the weblog space and requires time and patience. A change request would be much easier. But you're right - many people may see it as a threat.

To be honest, I can't estimate which is more discouraging for a weblog reader: a lot of manual work or potentially dangerous change request. Maybe I should have both. What do you think?

Thanks!

Igor

Former Member
0 Kudos

I remember awhile back the weblogs should the code sample in the page as just text and people had trouble copying and pasting. Then one of us decided on a TEXTAREA box and well now most all the weblogs have that TEXTAREA for code samples.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is "There is only one way to find out" do both and see how people respond

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I made manual instructions for my weblog, but there's really a lot of manual work. There are 4 dictionary components (structures) and 2 classes with 4-5 methods each, with methods' parameters and implementation. I don't feel very optimistic about effort that folks are willing to give just to try it.

I wanted to submit a ZIP file containing change-request's data file and cofile (for those who dare to import it), but haven't found "submit content" functionality for any file type. Those that I've found allow only .doc and .rtf files to be uploaded.

Is there something that I didn't see there?

Thanks!

Igor

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Igor,

hope your Weblog will be about your Application you presented at the SDN meets SAP Labs in St. Leon-Roth. It was realy interessing. Your presentation together with Thomas Ritter's where the best one out of the whole event. I hope to get deeper into ABAP Objects with your help.

Regards

Gregor

former_member185943
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Gregor!

I am glad that you liked my session, and thanks a lot for your support and compliments! It's always good to see some feedback, especially whent it's so good. I know that your post is not strictly "answer" to anything, but I just had to grant you points for this

Yes, my next weblog will be an ABAP objects component for handling fixed program values as parameters. I hope you'll find it interesting and useful. I'm just waiting for my content to be submitted (I have already sent it to SDN) - it's change-request files with the component to spare you and others from manual work. However, for those who don't feel good about importing requests, there'll bee manual instructions too.

Thanks once again!

Kind regards,

Igor

P.S. If you believe that my session is worth seeing at TechEd, please vote for me at https://www.sdn.sap.com/sdn/teched.sdn

Thanks!

Answers (0)