cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing language specific value in a Validation (Data manager)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a multilingual field and would like to make sure the user populates the English language value for this field. I would like to write a validation to accomplish this. But how do I access the specific language value to perform the IS_NOT_NULL test? I tried the language operator but it does not work properly. It appears as though it looks at the logon language and not on the field's language specific value.

Has anybody tried this? Appreciate a response.

Thanks,

Jagathi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member300295
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jagathi,

Data Manager displays the data based on the logon language, and any validations executed are based on that language.

If you logon using Spanish language and expecting to execute the validation for English language, then I don't think that is possible.

For example: the following validation

IF (LANGUAGE=English [US] THEN

IS_NOT_NULL (<Field-Name>)

ELSE IF (LANGUAGE=Russian [RU] THEN

language_specific_expression

ELSE IF (LANGUAGE=Japanese [JP] THEN

ELSE IF (LANGUAGE=Hebrew [IL] THEN

ELSE IF (LANGUAGE=Portuguese [BR] THEN

ELSE IF (LANGUAGE=Chinese [HK] THEN

ELSE IF (LANGUAGE=Spanish [MX] THEN

ELSE

otherwise_expression

)))))))

Will only fail when the field value is NULL when logged on to Data Manager in English language. Any other language with the field value NULL will not fail.

And if you want to apply the same validation for all languages, then replace all the 'language_specific_expression' lines with 'IS_NOT_NULL (<Field-Name>)'.

Let me know if you need any more help with this one.

Regards,

Ramu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ramu for the reply. You are right, it will work only for the logon laguage. The IF clause behaves differently in validations compared to assignments. SAP does not have the functionality yet to retrieve the language specific value of a field. This will be a nice feature to have.

former_member300295
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Jagathi, I would expect it to work for logon language only. I am wondering why would you want to do anything with other languages when logged into a different language. Is there any specific requirement that is prompting you to do this?

Message was edited by:

Ramu Venkannagari

0 Kudos

Hi Ramu,

I have the same problem. In my case customer has departments in several countres and use 4 lang in MDM (Ukranian, Russian, English and Italian). Its acceptable if Production have description in 1 lang only and use inheritance for other lang from Business point of view. But how we can check that description exist on non-logon lang?

Regards, Alexander.