cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between Mobile Engine and MI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

i want to know the difference between Mobile Engine and MI and also what are the main advantages included in MI instead of ME.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anusha,

ME had MicroITS as UI.

MI has JSP and AWT as UI programming.

From the above discussion its clear that JSP is the best option for programming.

PS: AWT was depricated by SUNMicro.

I just thought of sharing the history of MI.

just to share to you a "history" of mobile projects in SAP.

the current MI was actually a merged project from two mobile

projects - the old Mobile Engine and the unheard Mobile

Development Framework (MDF). when these projects were

restructured, the ME was extended with some functionalities

such as the SmartSync which was actually the replication

technology used in MDF. MDF client was based on C++ and

uses the CEDB as the database. it was not chosen to be

the client due to its platform-dependency. MDF was already

a working product when the restructuring happened. and there

were some client functionalities like xml based GUI and

metadata/logic definition that the current MI client doesn't

have.

Hope this is helpful.

Close the thread if your done with your clarification.

Cheers,

Karthick

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Telaprolu,

Its pretty same thing when you talk about Mobile Engine or Mobile Infra, the thing is, Initially it was called Mobile Engine but after the release of Netweaver2004, the release version 2.5 is named as <b>Mobile Infrastructure</b>..

Cheers,

kumarR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Telaprolu,

Adding to the above points,

From release 2.5 the name is changed from ME to MI. But till 2.1 this was called as ME.

Regards,

Lakshmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ME is the older version where as MI is the newer version... Its like this. You called BIW and you are calling the same as BI now.

ME is for version prior to NW04 and MI 2.5 is on 04 and MI 7.0 is 04s. ME had MicroITS as its UI and now we have JSP & AWT with MicroITS support (though its deprecated now) in MI 2.5 & 7.0.

You may look at MDK Online to get more info on the same. http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/21eba3a7-0601-0010-b982-92f1...

Regards

Ak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i am not getting this one ->MicroITS as its UI

what is MicroITS and how it is used in UI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi anusha,

MicroITS is used to design User Interfaces, Its an old technology - which is still available but not supported anymore.

since MI 2.5. MicroITS UI is not supported.The UI Technologies we use these days after microITS are AWT,JSP and Web Dynpros...

Hope this is clear now...

Cheers,

kumarR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It WAS used as UI not anymore... Infact SAP is moving towards JSP and Java WebDynPro.

Internet Transaction Server is abbreviated to ITS. And MicroITS will give the a look & feel similar to ITS. this was predominant till WebAS 620 ( i guess). From NW04, SAP moved out from ITS and brought a seperate server called WebApplicationServer which has a seperate Java Stack.

I remember working on a Business Package for Mobile Time & Travel which came out in MicroITS UI.

Regards

~A.k.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Arun,

its clear but why SAP go for jsps instead of MicroITS,is there any disadvantages in that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anusha,

JSP is the best recommended for SAP.

Standard UI model best known by end-users

Modern look and customizability

Can be enhanced easily

Recommended programming model of SAP

Integrates best with other web applications.

In MI using JSP makes the developers work easy as developer will make use of the MI APIs and he can concentrate on the logic of the application.

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adding to Karthik's points, If you have already developed a Web Application for your business process, you may as well reuse the same HTML/JSP Pages used in that application in your Mobile App Code.

Basically it makes a developers' life easier and you may find Java/J2EE/JSP developer anywhere and everywhere in this world. So the SAP Clients are not stuck up to look for specialized developers.

Regards

~A.k.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi anusha,

JSP was evolved and has gained its importance because it is easy to develop and UI customization is much more simpified since presentation logic is seperated(HTML coding and Java Coding) in JSP.

Because of these adv, SAP has standardized and prefered JSP to other technologies. We have been provided with MDK API for easy development of Mobile applications..

<a href="/people/alexander.ilg/blog/2006/10/31/business-in-motion--mi-jsp-or-awt">Check this Blog!!!</a>

Cheers,

kumarR