Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we have versioning in XI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Do we have versioning in XI?

For example,

Assume 3 project releases are over for the Java, J2EE application.

1. 1st release - Jan '07

2. 2nd release - Mar '07

3. 3rd release - May '07

There is some problem with the latest release(May '07) , so I have to go back to the 2nd release code. This is applicable in Java. Steps are, just take the Mar '07 release code from Clearcase or some version control s/w, build and deploy it. Thats it.

Like the above example, do we have any versioning(Version control) in XI?

Regards

Sara

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sara,

Like pointed by Michal the History option for every object in XI allows you to maintain various versions of your objects.

Also, the history option allows allows you to recover deleted objects ( with a workaround though ) as shown in this blog,

/people/robin.schroeder/blog/2006/11/21/receive-deleted-xi-objects

Credits are due to michal as well for it was he who actually mentioned that such an option to retrieve deleted objects is available.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal & Bhavesh,

Thanks for your immediate responses.

1. The thing is, I have to calculate the <b>timings</b> for the revert back process. If we go with the history option for each and every object it will take more time to revert back. So, do we have any option to figure out the all the changes which are gone for the particular release?

For example, just we have to give the release information(Release label etc), then the change compononet, object list should be displayed for the particular release. Take the previous changes and activate it. The time taken to revert back the changes are less here. Hope, you got my doubt.

2. In case of ORACLE, they will just go and change the end point of the service in ESB. Like, Do we have any center point of change in XI?

Please share your suggestions.

Regards

Sara

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>So, do we have any option to figure out the all the changes which are gone for the particular release?

I'm affraid we don not have that in XI

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

All are stored in XI repository , I am not aware how to get those details, i am sure the all objects will be stored in respository like object version wise , but the thing is how to get it , as explained above , we can get it from history it means the list should be stored in a table, we may not have direct access ..

see the below link to get an idea

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/02/sxicache--ripped-off

Regards

Chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

If XI built in versioning is not enough, i think, you could do it in a manual process, e.g.

1. at a specific point create a version by exporting all software components to files. (unique file names are ensured by XI)

2. put your files into your normal source code versioning system

3. in case you need to go back to a previous version, re-import the saved XI files.

4. for all objects that have been changed since the version, XI will create a conflict, which you can manually resolve, so you can either decide to take the old version or keep the changes by object.

not optimal, but probably faster especially when working with lots of interfaces.

Regards

christine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your points.

Regards

Sara

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Findout one class name should be there to get the Repository Objects.

Experts plz help on this issue.

Regards

Chilla

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

sure we do:)

history menu for every object (message mappings etc) allows to do that

Regards,

michal