cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/3 - Like TRANSACTIONS does NOT exist/work in new XI install, asap??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the situation with new installed XI 30 system. I was able to log on(as admin) to the SAP easy access screen and walk through it. I was able to log on and start Integration Builder, Integration Directory by using code Sxmb_ifr. So I can even see 'Design:Integration Builder'screen.

All basis type transactions like SM59 , SE38 worked fine,

The very wired thing is that when I try to execute VA01 , MM01, MK01 or other - business type R/3-like transactions I got the message -' Transaction MK01 doesn't .

I think I should. I also tried SE16 and to browse for master tables like MARK , MARA etc. but it gives me the message :' Table MARC is not active in Dictionary" Since I am new to XI it makes me wonder if the system is installed without the business components lake tables for Material Master etc.Is this possible?Or it needs some re-Configuration or role/authorization - related issues.I am going to be a XI developer and I guess without this I will not be able to desing, create, map any business scenarions.Is it INSTALLATION or CONFIGURATION or ADMIN problem?

Very very strange , please any clue or tips what to check I will appreciate asap !! Thanks !

Boby

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey

its not a strange problem:)

even i have this thing,see actually R/3 server and XI server are different,so we can not expect all the t-codes whic run in R/3 to run in XI,moreover why do u need to access SD,MM,FI tables in XI?

dont worry about it,ur XI server will run smoothly.

On a second note,XI is a middle ware and if we start storing tables in XI,then whats the use of having R/3.

thanx

ahmad

Message was edited by:

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmat ,

Thank you very much for your fast answer - it really makes me feel a litte bit better that not only my XI cannot run R/3 t-codes ...BUT........

Lets say I want to do this Business Scenarios described in this Blogs -' A beginner's guide to XI' - part 1 and 2 :

ttps://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/73527b2c-0501-0010-5398-c4ac372c9692

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6bd6f69a-0701-0010-a88b-adb...

Please look at them and read carefuly. There is a PO that is send to XI via IDoc in Part 1..I know there will be some mappings going on in XI as you see from this guide..

-Don't you need to have some kind of business data/knowledge in XI how this PO will look like (as you have in R/3)..?.

-I mean IF XI system does't know what business object PO looks like ( Vendor , currency , etc ..) how it is going to do the mapping and other jobs and all that XI is designed for ??

-How you going to create VENDOR type object ot Sales Order type object in XI if the system doesn't have the clue what is it ?Sounds logical, isn't it ?:)

-I mean dont you really need some business data in your XI or it is completely technical tool ?

Please clearify this to me!

-At some point I thought my XI isntallation is a like- miniSAP Basis for Abap that had only one data for flight examles - true or false?:)

And lastly how I know my Abap stack is running but how I know my Java is up too?

Thank you so much !

Regards!

Boby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

>>-Don't you need to have some kind of business data/knowledge in XI how this PO will look like (as you have in R/3)..?.

we dont store any PO's in XI,wat we do is we connect XI with R/3 and fetch PO's from there(or any other table etc.).we get PO's in the form of an IDOC from R/3 and XI will receive it and send to the designated receiver.

>>I mean IF XI system does't know what business object PO looks like ( Vendor , currency , etc ..) how it is going to do the mapping and other jobs and all that XI is designed for ??

when u send the PO's from R'3,XI will create a metadata and store in itself,so that it knows about it and next time u send a PO,it can directly fetch that metadata and get to know about PO's IDOC

>>How you going to create VENDOR type object ot Sales Order type object in XI if the system doesn't have the clue what is it ?Sounds logical, isn't it ?:)

we dont create any VENDOR type objects in XI,XI is a middleware and i used to transfer message from one system to another,in no way it is used to store/create/change/delete any master data or any other info,R/3 is used for all that

>>I mean dont you really need some business data in your XI or it is completely technical tool ?

No u dont,as i said XI does not store anything within itself except metadata,all the tables will stay in R/3,XI will only pull them from R/3 and makes use of IDOC or RFC to get the data from R/3.

>>At some point I thought my XI isntallation is a like- miniSAP Basis for Abap that had only one data for flight examles - true or false?:)

False,those are demo exaples used to give an idea about scenarios in XI,we dont use them at all in real world,we have to create our own scenarios.

I guess ur confusing between R/3 and XI.

see XI is not at all like R/3,all the data,tables etc will be stored in R/3,XI is only used to transfer this data to other systems.

XI is totally different from R/3,it is designed in such a way that it can facilitate easy transfer of data from one system to another but it does not stores any tables or data.

thanx

ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmat,

Thanks for your fast and Very very helpful answer.It put more light on my question.So conclusions I made from your replies are few :

1. Once Idocs are send from r/3 , Xi receive them and creates the metadata which contains the business information about POs, SOs etc..With other word XI 'Automatically generates' metadata based on this received IDoc?True?

2. Next time PO is send via IDos to XI , XI uses previously created metadata - it is once for all process from now on?True?

3.If 1. is true - XI developer almost no need to have deep business knowledge about what PO should contain of?True?

4.I understend what happens on receiving end , but what is going on on sending end ? If XI is sending to non SAP system , may be PO can look diferently and non SAP system will require other structure...?

5.Can you please explain a little more what is the role of the XI devloper ? And what knowledge should one xi developer have - technical and business or no business need at all?

6. From all said before I am making the conclusion that if one has only XI server installed cannot learn and practice the XI concept because you need Sender and Receiver system. Can you mimic somehow sender/receiver in order to practice on XI.Can you create scenarios without Sender/Reseiver?Please clearify this for me as important matter in the learning process..?

Thanks again for your well explained answers!:)

Regards,

Boby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

>>Once Idocs are send from r/3 , Xi receive them and creates the metadata which contains the business information about POs, SOs etc..With other word XI 'Automatically generates' metadata based on this received IDoc?True?

Yes

>>Next time PO is send via IDos to XI , XI uses previously created metadata - it is once for all process from now on?True?

Yes,but in case u change the PO's structure in R/3 then i have to explicitly create IDOC metadata again in XI and u use t-code IDX2 for that.

>>If 1. is true - XI developer almost no need to have deep business knowledge about what PO should contain of?True?

Yeah,he need not know everything about PO's,thats why we have so many XI developers with java background.

>>I understend what happens on receiving end , but what is going on on sending end ? If XI is sending to non SAP system , may be PO can look diferently and non SAP system will require other structure...?

Thats why we create Data Type,message type,message interface and message mappings,it actually maps the sender data into a faormat which receiver can understand.

>>Can you please explain a little more what is the role of the XI devloper ? And what knowledge should one xi developer have - technical and business or no business need at all?

XI developers usually develop whole scenario sending the data from one system and receivin it at another end,there are no set rules,but it has been found that good knowledge of ABAP and Java comes in handy.

>>From all said before I am making the conclusion that if one has only XI server installed cannot learn and practice the XI concept because you need Sender and Receiver system.

sure u can practise scenarios,u wont be able to do IDOC or RFC coz for that u need R/3 but witout that u can do File scenarios,HTTP scenarios,SOAP,JMS etc.

we need to create business system in SLD in XI and we use that as sender and receiver,

u dont necessarily need to have a separate sender and receiver,we can keep files in one directory of XI server and map transfer that to another director(even this has sender and receiver but we dont need any separate FTP server for this).

in a nutshell u can do any scenario except IDOC and RFC just with XI.

>>Can you create scenarios without Sender/Reseiver?

NO,the whole purpose of XI is to transfer message from sender to receive,so if u dont have any of them,then whats the use of XI,XI is not used for any data storage like R/3 so it necessarily needs both sender and receiver.

thanx

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ahmat,

Great help, last post was very helpful , well explained, great for xi newbies :)!Tnank you..! Because of the quality of your questions I will probably continue to ask (if you dont mind of course )you more XI -concept questions once I dive into it.

Now 2 side questions:

- why when server is up and running on SAPMMC I got 2 (not 1) xi instances 00, 01 ?

-I know I have Abap stack installed (se38)on the xi server but how i can make sure java stack is also there - any tips for checks?

thanks

Boby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

i haven't installed XI server so dont know much about Java stack,but a simple check would be to see the adapters in Integration Directory whether all the adapters are present or not.

all the adapters(except IDOC and HTTP)sit on Java stack so if it has been installed and configured properly,the adapters should be present there .

i m sure there must be some other way also too,but as i said i m an XI developer not XI admin so i dont know much about it:)

thanx

ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Except Integration engine and Business process Engine , rest of all components runs on Java Stack.. you are able to work on rest of components also , i hope it is clear.

All adapters except Idoc and Htp will resides on AE. which runs on Java stack. when you are able to see the list of adapters then , nop.

See All R3 ta.codes will not work on R3 instance of XI, which are realted to SD,MM,...

Have you done post installation steps?. if not see the below links

post installation -/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2006/11/15/post-installation-steps-for-activating-adobe-document-services-in-sap-xi-nw-2004s

Regards

Chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ahmat,

Your answers were nice and understandable .Aprreciate it.Since you mention that you are XI developer if you allow me to ask one question off topic please..Can you tell me if you have information how is xi consulting market doing right now, if there are enough xi projects , more particulary in North America...of cource you have information.It will be interesting to know cause I am heading to xi development area too..Just overall view on one xi expert as you are.Thanks in advance)

Regards,

Boby

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boby,

XI server is separate from R/3 or ECC system. R/3 transactions will not work in XI server.

XI is separated from R/3. R/3 or ECC server only will have the modules like HR, MM, PLM, SD, FICO etc.

XI server should be used only as Integration Broker.

Thanks

Balaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your answer , please refer to my reply to Ahmat's answer if you can add something to it... ..I just wonder how one can map Vendor for example without the business knowledge/data of Vendor is.?.Thanks!

Regards,

Boby