cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSCS on Windows 2003 EE Server and x64

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Peter

I was told on the Fujitsu-Siemens SAP Competence Center that you are the only one who can answer this question regarding compatibility of MSCS with ECC 4.7 Ext2.

One of our customer wants to install the following on an x64 Intel Machine:

SAP BASIS 6.20; R/3 4.7 Ext2.0 (SAP Kernel 6.40) Release for x86_64 64bits Windows Enterprise Server 2003

SQL Server 2005

According to SAP Note 106275 this is only possible with Itanium Servers but I heard it should be possible already with x64 Servers. That somehow, this note is probably outdated (see answers from the guys of the Microsoft-SAP Alliance adn note below)

Question is :

1) Is MSCS released for x64 and ECC 4.7ext2 ?

2) If yes, I guess the MSCS configuration would be a Classic two node one , just as Peter Simon indicates in your slides:

3) And Last but not least, do you know of a certified partner who is able to implement such a cluster with SAP ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Javier,

you can do it.

1. To install CI and DB Instance you need master CD 51031444 (kernel 51031282, unicode kernel - 51031283).

This is x64-able CD of 4.7 EXT2

2. To cluster (convert nodes A and B) you need normal x64 NW04 SR1 master CD.

Clustering routine is the same as for 4.7 x86 and IA64.

3. After you have finished clustering it is recommended to apply latest saprc.dll from 7.00 - see SAP note 1043592.

BR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Yaroslav...Just a final question:

The customer would like to have also the application instances of the 4.7 Ext2 in High Availability with MS Cluster.

1) Is this supported with 4.7 Ext2 + MSCS `+ x64 ?

2) If yes, could we use as fail-over server for the apps the same fail-over server than for the DB+CI ? Or do we need dedicated Windows fail-over Servers for both ?

Thanks a lot.

Javier Fernandez

Fujitsu-Siemens Spain

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

1) yes, with installation procedure described above

2) did you mean whether the dialog instances can be installed on the physical cluster nodes, where CI and DB are running? In this case - no. It is not possible.

You will need dedicated hardware for dialog instances. Such possibility first introduced in 700.

Best regards

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Javier,

Before answering directly to your questions....

Why clustering the applications servers (Dialog instance) ?

App server are not considered as SPOF (Single point of failure), as yours DB+CI is protected by a cluster, the CI will take over when app server is failing.

If you have additional servers, i would prefer to install 2 app servers then one protected by a cluster. When 1 app server is failing you still have the other, giving the same "protection" than it would be in a cluster, but in normal operation you will have 2 app servers giving quit better utilization of servers then the cluster would give....

So if i should answer your questions it would be:

1) Maybe it is possible / supported to cluster a app server, but it makes no sense to do this.

2) No do not install additional app servers into the same cluster protecting your DB-CI instance, use additional (stand alone) servers for the app server(s).

Regards

Rolf

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

just got information that you can use CD 51031444 for clustering.

It is also NW04 SR1 based.

Answers (0)