cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do we use FTP transfer protocol and when do we use NFS transf protocol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have SCenario that sending IDOCS from R3 to MDM through XI. Here i have a small doubt regarding File Adapter. My XI server and MDM server are in same network.

1. Do i need to use FTP Protocol or NFS Protocol.

2. If i need to use FTP protocol, is that WS_FTP sever should be in XI machine or in MDM machine

Pls help me with the solution.

Venkat.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>1. Do i need to use FTP Protocol or NFS Protocol.

if you don't require user authentication to folder

you can use NFS - if you do go for FTP

>>>>2. If i need to use FTP protocol, is that WS_FTP sever should be in XI machine or in MDM machine

on MDM machine

Regards,

michal

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

1. I will suggest if XI server & MDM both are in same network as mentioned by you & are on windows plateform then go for NFS. If OS are different then go for FTP.

2. It should be in MDM machine.

Regards

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi-

To know visit this blog

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang

Also this help

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0b/9a50465ccf84479e39a6d50c90fb3f/content.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

U use NFS when u use the File System of XI directly,

However in ur case MDM has to get the files from XI through R/3 .so u shdu configure that WS_FTP sever on MDM machine ie Ready port of MDM

if u hv ne further question let me know

Regards,

Ashwin M,

Note ;- Plz reward if found useful

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

We mostly use NFS when we required to poll the files from local machines..

Or in other words, any machine that is mounted on your SAP XI server can use the NFS protocol.

We use FTP when we required to poll the data from the FTP servers which are in the remote side or outside of the firewall..

look at this thread

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/08/01/along-came-a-file-adapter-mr-ftp-and-rest-of-the-gang