cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling Unit Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Would appreciate if someone could assist with this issue i have.

Is it possible to create a handling unit without a designated packing material in SAP?

Currently, the packing materials comes in all sort of sizes and dimension. We would like to use SAP to track this. We will interface the 3rd party solution to SAP and probably by using some BAPI and ABAP programming to created this automated bridge. But the 3rd party solution allows us to manually enter customised packing material hence some of these may not be define in SAP.

Cheers,

Lee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lee,

A Handling Unit is a physical combination of materials consisting of

a. packaging materials (for example – pallets, carton, shrink wrap, containers, trucks)

b. goods (to be transported, stored, used and so on)

Packing is primarily the process of assigning delivery items to packaging materials. This produces handling units, which can then in turn be packed in additional packing materials i.e. Multilevel packing.

You can display the allowed packaging materials for a material to be packed. The packaging materials are proposed from the table Allowed Packaging Materials for each material group which you maintain in customizing. The system checks if the packaging material being used for packing is allowed.

However, if the field Material Group: Packaging material has not been maintained in the material master, this material can be packed in any packaging material – depending on the weight and volume check.

Therefore i think there is no compulsion that you should have a designated packing material.....................but if you have one the system can allocate directly with out any manual intervention.

<b>Reward if helps</b>

Regards

Sai

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks