cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW authorization/exit variables and filtering

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have not found any discussion addressing the design issue I am facing. Any ideas appreciated.

I need to filter a chart by a selection in a crosstab. Both components are based on the same cube and use the same authorization variable for 0ORGUNIT characteristic, which is authorization relevant. The variable is input ready. It is prefilled by the 0ORGUNIT hierarchy node (sub-tree) that a user (manager) is authorized to.

The crosstab's data source is a query that shows monthly results for this node (or a lower node if the user changes the variable value in the prompt) and its sub-nodes (hierarchy display). The chart is displaying these values too as bars in a comparison with company overall results. The query that feeds the chart has a structure in rows with two lines. The first line is a Selection where no selection is placed; it is therefore summing all company-wide data. The second line is a Selection where authorization variable is placed; it is therefore summing the department data.

I want the chart to change display when I click in the crosstab. It should display comparison of the overall results with business unit selected in the crosstab..

In the crosstab On Select I can pass selected member to the chart's DS with setFilter or setVariableValue. SetFilter obviously cannot work, as it affects both lines of the query, the whole dataset. setVariableValue works fine in the chart. The problem is that it also affects the crosstab itself.

I thought the solution could be to use different variables for these two datasets. I created a new an exit type variable (filled anyhow in the exit), mandatory (?) but not ready for input. Unfortunately, such variable cannot be used with setVariableValue (getVariableValue works). It make sense, let us say. But making this variable input ready would completely confuse users. Why should they see their department twice in the prompt?

It looks to me that I could make it work if I demerge variables, but I dislike the way such variables are displayed. My users would not accept the DS prefix ("DS_1 Organizational unit" instead of "Organizational unit").

Do I have any other option? I do not want to store overall company results in every line of the cube in an additional key figure...

Thank you in advance,

Zbynek Halousek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello - I have read this 3-4 times and I am struggling to follow what you are trying to achieve.  So the community can better help, would it be possible to show screen shots?  Use the camera icon to upload

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

the bigger picture would be:

Is there any way to filter a chart by selecting a member in crosstab and prevent the crosstab was filtered too ( ! ), if both datasources use the same (BW authorization) variable? Selected member can be handed over to the chart either via setVariable, but this affects the crosstab too, or via setFilter; which cannot work due to how BW queries need to be created if they use authorization variables and need to show all results too (so called "colon" authorization).

Best,

Zbynek Halousek