cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why OER and not EM

0 Kudos

Hi,

I recently came across a project where OER has been preferred over EM considering the huge volume of data to be handled on a daily basis.

On trying to delve further, I discovered that Serial number generation will not be taken care by OER.
Serial numbers are already available from a different system. In such a scenario, can anyone help me with how OER is capable of handling
huge volumes of data?
Also do we have any additional performance improving notes for OER and not EM?

In short, my query is, what enables OER handle large volumes of data and not EM if serial number generation is not being taken care by any of them?

Appreciate your inputs!!

Regards,

Sam

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190756
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sam,

OER is technically based on EM. It is more or less just a special EM scenario. So there will be no performance improvement by using OER compared with EM. In principle you can say if you need the EPCIS interface and the compatibility to it then use OER. If this is not required just using EM will be the much simpler way and you can omit the mapping from the EPCIS interface to the generic EM interface.

Best regards,

Steffen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steffen,

So using EM in a separate box will yield same result as that of OER , if we are not going to use additional features provided by OER like serialization and EPCIS interface ?

Also , If we are using EM in a separate box, Is it possible to convert it to OER box(addition of serialization and EPCIS interface in case of new business requirement) through implementation of some specific notes and whether that will bear some additional cost..

Regards,

Ratnakar

former_member190756
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnakar,

yes results should not significantly different as under the hood everything is EM. There is just a mapping of EPCIS to EM if you look in the EPCIS proxy implementation.

Every EM already contains the OER stuff and the delivered PTA scenario. Only an AII is still needed. But i think a migration is in standard not foreseen. You have to decide at the beginning if you want to use OER. This is also a license question.

Best regards,

Steffen

0 Kudos

Thanks Steffen for the insight!!

Regards

Sam

Answers (0)