cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which one will give better performance in calculation view (Join or Union)

0 Kudos

Hi floks,

I want to let you know that which one will give better performance in calculation view .

a) Calculation view with join

b) Calculation view union

I have large number of records in my transaction table and I want to built calculation view based my transaction table  so, In this scenario which one will give better performance.

could you please some one provide me some insight on this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

As per Hana Best Practices

• Avoid using JOIN nodes in calculation view. Consider replacing them with UNION nodes (where possible). Alternately consider pushing these joins to Analytic views.
  • While using Unions make sure there will be no null values in Measure columns otherwise Union Operation will chock.
  • While Unioning measures in Union Node do manage mappings and supply 0 values for null measures columns.
  • You can also refer the below link.

Thanks

Kala

0 Kudos

Hi chandrakala and Vikram,

Thanks for you people for giving me such an insight and enlightenment's on my question.

Regards,

VaraPrasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandrakala,

Could you please elaborate more on the bad performance of null measures in union? Is that still accurate as of today?

I ran some quick tests on one of my models and I could notice only a very small difference: a fixed gain of 0.1 s / 10 MB. By "fixed gain" I mean that it's not proportional to the size of my queries: 0.1 s is rather good for a 0.5 s query but not so much for a 20 s one... I am using HANA SPS 11.

Did you ever experience a significant performance improvement by replacing the default null measures in union node by constant zeros?

Thanks,

Sylvain

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member200930
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

As per the SAP recommendations, UNION is answer for your question. Please check enclosed image for the same.

- Vikram Divekar

former_member208449
Active Participant
0 Kudos

See, UNION & JOIN are to be used for different purposes. JOIN is when you need to pull records from tables having a key field in common. UNION is where you get all the records from 2 or more tables having same number of fields.

According to what I understood, you would be joining the header and transaction tables(which is indeed MUST) and then doing a UNION based on your requirement.

This is really vague. Could you please elaborate on your scenario.