cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charm project for Dual Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I read lot of documentation about N+1 landscape using Charm. As part of upgrade project, we are using 5 system landscape for which we want to leverage Charm.

Transport Strategy:

Break Fix landscape is

D1 --> Q1 ---> P1

Project Landscape is

D2 --> Q2 --> P1

Question is: Can we create a new charm project for second landscape with D2 --> Q2 --> P1 (P1 already exist in support project). Is this possible ?

Eventually, retiring the Break fix D1 --> Q1. Transports will be synched manually between D1 and D2. After go live, transports should follow D2 --> Q2 --> P1.

Regards,

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Yes you can create as many projects as you want even on the same landscape.

further try to use retrofit feature instead of doing manual retrofits.

Check the below wiki and comments it might resolve your doubts

Additional functions of Change Request Management - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

How to work with Change Request Management Enhanced Retrofit - Solution Manager - SCN Wiki

hope this clarifies but come back to us if you need more help

thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar. I read few comments from Dolores related to N+1 landscape in the blog so wanted to confirm if it is possible to directly use D2 --> Q2 --> P1 without using Virtual system.

Per Dolores, in real scenario the transport strategy can be for N+1 like below and we are planning not to use Virtual system and directly place P1 (production) in the new project landscape. Is there any concern why to use Virtual system when we already have a live production as I was thinking virtual system is used when there is no production server ready ?

D2 --> Q2 --> D1

OR

D2 --> Q2 --> VIR

OR

D2 --> Q2 --> D1 --> Q1 --> VIR --> P1

Regards,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

You can choose all the system in line D2,Q2,D1,Q1 and P1 without virtual system,

virtuall system needed for upgrade or migration sceanrios, where you have to properly plan the golive.

For regurlar functional implementation projects, you can go without virtual systems. you should have very minimal freezing,testing period once tr moved to Q2 to D1 and move to P1 directly without Virtual system.

if you use all systems in line, make sure all these changes are synchorsied properly between maintenace and implemeantion landscape, else it leads inconsitiency in your live prd system.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Jansi

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

It is also depending upon the process and usage of charm for any customer and there is no technical limitation as you have already noticed.

you can have one maintenance project in maintenance landscape and another implementation project in implementation line for same production system and it depends upon your customer requirement in dual landscape

However incase of upgrade scenario normally the old dev and qua is removed so this also means you need to adapt the changes accordingly for your scenario

hope this helps

Thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Both Prakhar and Jhansi provided the right solution and to answer your question precisely

D2->Q2->P1

Answer is Yes, but depends on requirement and which implementation project

Generally, project track always go with below

D2->Q2->D1->Q1->Preprod->P

But for few data object setup, cutover  in HCM landscape - As per the requirement, project tracks go with below

D2->Q2->P

with retrofit from D1 to D2 and maintenance/support track as below

D1->Q1->P

Hope, above example clarifies your query

Thanks

Sateesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks all for your quick responses. We are performing EHP upgrade project if I understood this correctly, we can still stick to D2 --> Q2 --> P1 without issues ? or D2 --> Q2 --> D1 --> Q1 --> P1 is the right approach?

if it is D2 --> Q2 --> D1, how should I setup in charm because atleast one system should be production ?

Regards,

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

All Upgrade/project  changes should follow below track

D2->Q2->D1->Q1->P1

Cheers

Sateesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sateesh. How should I setup the charm project with D2 - Q2 - D1 - Q1 - P1 ?

I guess, for charm project atleast development and production system required. Can I add D2 - Q2 only ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before you start the process, make sure all pre checks have been done important one, redefining your systems as below

BAU DEVLOPMENT - D1 example 200

BAU TEST CLIENT Q1 - example 300

DEVELOPMENT D2 example 400

QA Q2 example 500

PRD P1 example 600

Cheers

Sateesh

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

You have to first understand what is the current requirement it is not mandatory that you have to have to follow below path

D2 - Q2 - D1 - Q1 - P1

you can also use if first P1 gets upgraded etc. or business case wise.

D2 - Q2 - P1

Thus, it is more important to understand the technical feasibility and exact requirement for your project

e.g if you have Breakfix landscape at ERP EHp1 and implementation or upgrade line is ERP EHP6 ...do you already know that all the object from D2>Q2> can goto to  P1 without any issues...... ?

Question is not about ChaRM but whether you are able to do technically import or not based upon the level of upgrade/technical differences etc.

ChaRM can only automate things if regular import work ...similarly you can retrofit but what if while doing retrofit from breakfix to implementation line you can't as object doesn't exist in new version ?

you need to be careful as these decision should be more carefully taken with business and then proper landscape can be designed.

from charm perspective ....based upon however you have designed STMS in managed system sameway you have to design logical component

ChaRM will work as per your logical component only.

i hope it helps you further.

Thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar and Sateesh for your guidance. This really helps me. I agree with your comments we are not sure that "all objects from D2 to Q2 can go to P1 without issues"

Suppose if we plan to go D2 - Q2 - D1 - Q1 - P1 route then when we move transports from Q2 to D1 (after upgrade D1 to EHP7) the transport name will be different D2 instead of D1. How to proceed in this scenario ? Do we have to recollect D2 transports and create new transport in D1 and move the new transports to Q1 - P1 ?

Also, when D1 is upgraded it will not be available for production support so what should be the contigency in case of emergency production issues ?

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

It can't be different if you designed the path in domain controller that way. where D2 is the source with D2 - Q2 - D1 - Q1 - P1 route.

thus, all transport will follow this path only as per STMS

however make sure that you modify your normal correction flow to accomodate this path as standard process is for 3 tier only. Create new status etc as per required so that you can move them ahead with charm

Thanks

Prakhar