Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESP scenario : Unable to connect to stream

former_member190239
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

This is my first post on ESP.. have been reading a lot of blogs , help.sap and starting to learn ESP...

A couple of questions I have...

1. Installed the ESP studio on my machine and server was installed on https://ipaddress:port/cockpit

I selected the input xml adapter and gave location of a .csv file on my desktop.. in the schema selection step... I get local streaming off error.. unable to connect error so I open run perspective and test...give try to run.. but now I dont know If I should execute this on the locahost or the ESP server?

In both cases it shows error.. no ESP running...

2. Lots been said of how fast ESP is... but  Is ESP capable of manipulating the message as much as PI and BPM can do.. I mean the mapping and transformatiosn etc...

If yes , will it be replacing PI/PO?

Pls share your thoughts....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JWootton
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi - welcome to ESP. First let me start by suggesting that you will find more information on using ESP, including tutorials and how-to guides, plus a more active forum in the Streaming Developer Center:  .  Since HANA smart data streaming and ESP are built from the same underlying technology, most of the information there is relevant to ESP.

And as a side note: is there are reason you are using ESP rather than HANA SDS?

As for your question #1:  if you include an adapter as part of your project (using the CCL ATTACH ADAPTER) statement, then the adapter runs on the SDS server.  So if you are connecting to a remote server, then the adapter will run there, and it won't be able to load files from your desktop.  Also pay attention to the adapter sandboxing rules - if enabled - which restrict the location of files the adapters can access:  Sandboxing - SAP Event Stream Processor: Security Guide - SAP Library

Now if you run the project locally, on a local server (ESP gives you that option), then the adapter can load a local file. But bear in mind that this "localserver" option is only mean as a design time tool and is not mean to be a production server.  Also, publishers and subscribers won't be able to connect to the localserver without some extra steps

Re question #2:  yes, ESP can handle very high message rates.  There are no plans for ESP to replace PI/PO however - these are very different tools designed for very different purposes.  In fact they are complementary and can be used together.  While there is a small degree of overlap - choose the right tool for the right job. One thing to keep in mind is that ESP is not transactional. It's designed for stream analytics, not for transaction processing.

former_member190239
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank Jeff.. for such a detailed reply...

How different is HANA SDS from ESP?.. We have license for ESP I guess...

I have been follwing the starter how to guide... Hands-on Tutorial: Building a Simple SAP ESP Project

I am unable to proceed from step 8 .. schema discovery... any set up to connect to the ESP server installed? .. it shows streaming error..

This thread on sdn was the same error that I am facing.. so I went into run perspective.. but shows failure...

Also Jeff... can I run a business scenario making decisions like we do in SAP PO using bpm?

JWootton
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

In step 8 in the tutorial, you are using the File adapter for discovery, so you actually need to configure it to discover locally - even if you plan to run the project on a remote server.  Yes, this is a bit inconvenient in that you need to set the adapter properties one way for discovery and then change them to run the project.  note that it's different for database connections since these always go though the data service defined on the server.

So to get discovery to work with a file adapter:

- configure the file adapter Directory property to point to a local directory (on same machine as ESP Studio)

- be sure File property is set to *

Run discovery. It should work.  if not, not sure best way to troubleshoot.  I'd have to suggest you contact customer support at that point.

But then, before you deploy your project on a production server, you'll need to change the file adapter properties to point to a file and directory that can be accessed by the the adapter running on the ESP server.

Re running a business scenario making decisions:  I don't have experience with PO, so I can't really comment on that.  Yes, you can use ESP to automate business scenarios.  But again, these are very different tools designed for very different purposes.  So while there may be a small amount of overlap, be sure you choose the best tool for the job.

former_member190239
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a ton Jeff... How can I configure the file adapter locally?.. and how to configure the jdbc/hana adapter... any document on this?

JWootton
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

When you ask "How can I configure the adapter locally?" - can you be more specific?

When you are  building and testing a model in ESP Studio,  just attach the adapter to the project - either in the visual editor or using and ATTACH ADAPTER statement in the CCL editor (which is what is created when you add an adapter in the visual editor).  I recommend using the visual editor, because it then "prompts" you for the properties.  To use schema discovery on the file adapter, you need to point it at a local file (on the machine where you are running studio) - just set the Directory property appropriately.

You can edit the adapter properties in either the visual editor or the CCL editor.

When connecting to HANA, do NOT use the jdbc adapter.  For output to HANA there is a special HANA adapter.  Use that.  For input from HANA, use a CCL REFERENCE element wherever possible.  If you really do need to use an input adapter to pre-load data from HANA, then use the ODBC input adapter.

The full documentation is online:

SAP Event Stream Processor 5.1 SP 12 – SAP Help Portal Page

There are also many video tutorials in the HANA Academy:

SAP HANA Smart Data Streaming - YouTube

And other materials in the Streaming Developer Center:

And please post further questions in the Smart Data Streamign Developer Center.  That is a very active community.  This one - as you can see - is not.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Answers (0)