Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the hostname from physical to virtual

sanketh_t
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I have installed a SAP BW  7.4 server on oracle database on a distributed landscape. which i installed on the physical hostnames.

Now i have a requirement to change the servers on to virtual hostnames on the same host.

As per my understanding through the system rename procedure document, we can rename the host name of DB, ASCS and PAS from physical to virtual hostname using system rename procedure.

Can you please let me know if any one has performed this activity on the existing server and if there are any pros and cons and imporatant things to be considered while performing this activity.

Thanks,

Sanketh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

kaus19d
Active Contributor

Hi,

Homogeneous system copy is a good option as Mr. Sriram mentioned here, but as you know that in recent SWPM we have got a System Rename option available, which we can use for a lot of time saving. As well as in homogeneous either you will generate export dump then import or else database restore process from a backup which makes the job very easy, but if anyone knows the steps its better to go via System-Rename which saves us a lot in many ways.

Yes Sanketh, your below understanding is correct & that is why a separate System Rename option is provided,

the system rename procedure document, we can rename the host name of DB, ASCS and PAS from physical to virtual hostname using system rename procedure

I think you forgot to mention your database. Say, for my DB2 database, its required for System-Rename method to have generated a db2-restore-script.clp or DB-Control-File which is not required if we simply do a Homogeneous System-Copy using Export-Import Method.

In general homogeneous system-copy, it would break-down/split tables & structures, which scenario totally does not come in case of System-Rename, here only the table names & Contents name gets renamed if required according to the target host-name/SID

Thanks,

Kaushik

kaus19d
Active Contributor
sanketh_t
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

My database is Oracle 11.4, do you mean to say we need to go through the system copy method to rename the DB to virtual host name .

What iam planning to do is ,

1. Stop the database,

2. Run the system rename for DB server , just change the host name in this option, maintaing the SID as same. I think the system rename procedure will do all the required changes in profiles and environment files for the host name to be renamed.

3. Maintain the host entries accordingly.

4. Start the database and see if it is starting properly.

Thanks,

Sanketh.

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes @Sanketh. That is correct, the thing for Oracle to take care of in between is the Pfile & SPfile, better you copy & put in a safe place before doing this activity, Also I would suggest you to once you go through my mentioned links in earlier reply. Yes, system rename procedure will do all the required changes in profiles and environment files for the host name to be renamed. So as per your words you are going for rename the DB to virtual host name. The thing here you need to keep in mind is that you have to have enough RAM, which I am not able to know from the earlier posts, RAM needs double of System Installation, what I am trying to say is in Drive Paging in ECC installation case requires 20480 MB which is here might require double for conversion process. Also note that do not run the swpm under databasehost\ORASID as that one also you will change here. Of note another thing run the Check 1st before doing the job in actual which means you also need to keep the virtual host prepared before doing that which will in future help you to move the database host to another system with very less effort(i mean that is the basic purpose of keeping sap install or database host in virtual).

Just take care of the above things & do the Job & also keep updating us. If any issue comes, then don't forget to post here. Remember, we are always there to help you, what-so-ever scenario/hurdles in SAP comes.

Thanks,

Kaushik

sanketh_t
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Kaushik, will perform the activity and update the post once completed.

sanketh.

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanketh,

I think, what you wanted to know the details & the courage to step-up forward for about the System Rename job, you have received the related replies. Also check the below links, provided from SAPside, as pre-requisites to check those matters,

System Rename - Software Logistics - SCN Wiki

Hence if you do not have any more queries, I would like to take opportunity to ask you to close this Discussion-thread. Please follow,

If next while doing the job any errors come, then that would become a different scenario & hence you can also create a new Discussion-Thread for that on the relevant SCN Space/Place

Thanks,

Kaushik

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The supported method is to perform a system copy. Having said that, if these systems were set up on UNIX/Linux, then I wouldn't bother to run the sapinst (SWPM) tool to do a system copy. Instead I would modify the SAP profiles, Oracle SQL*Net files with the virtual hostname and restart the SAP system. After the modification you will import the profiles from Tx RZ10. You also need to adjust the TMS as well. If there is no change in the SID of the system then this method saves a lot of time. I have done this before on various occasions and it works well.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanketh.

1. Changing the host name(physical or virtual) you have to perfrom SAP system copy Homogeneous system method.

2. You want to convert from exiting db server physical to virtual and  then vm to same server

2.1 first convert physical to vitrual system(p to v)

2.2 change the host name as different name (p to p1ç)and then connect convert vm(v) to same renamed system(p1).

BR

SS

sanketh_t
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Thanks for the reply.

My system is already Virtual server.

The only issue is i have installed on physical host name instead of virtual host name.

now i have a requirement to change the server to virtual hostname on the same host.

Can we do this using the system rename procedure ?

There is no aspect of migration in this scenario.

Can you let me know the best possibilities to perform this activity.

Thanks,

Sanketh.