Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization for using the LogViewer

KatrinVonAhsen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Does anybody of you know how to restrict the authorization for using the J2EE LogViewer only without having the permission to use the J2EE Visual Administrator? In the XI-sandbox system every user has got the ABAP role SAP_J2EE_ADMIN for using the LogViewer and the Visual Admin. But in our DEV-system the developers only should be authorized to view logs using the LogViewer but shouldn't be able to administrate using the Visual Admin. Any idea how to get this realized?

Best regards, Katrin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Katrin, could you please contact me via mail at temp1@heiko-gerstung.de ? I have no other contact information and would like to invite you to a FHH Alumni meeting (sorry to the rest for the noise!!).

Best regards,

Heiko

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Katrin, could you please contact me via mail at temp1@heiko-gerstung.de ? I have no other contact information and would like to invite you to a FHH Alumni meeting (sorry to the rest for the noise!!).

Best regards,

Heiko

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

are you aware of that logviewer is available as a standalone tool? With that it should be no problem.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

The standalone LogViewer requires a username and password too. Trying to login as an non-administrative user produces the following Exception:

com.sap.engine.services.jxm.exception.JmxSecurityException: Caller USERNAME not authorized, only role administrators is allowed to access JMX.

Adding the user to the administrators group in UME Console helps, but if you don't want the user to have access to visual admin, that's not really a practible solution.

astridtschense
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

you get this error message in the Central (Standalone) Log Viewer if you try to connect to the integrated Log Viewer Service, that is, you try to connect via connection J2ee.

If you start the remote Log Viewer Server on the Engine host (best is to run it as a service) then you can connect to this remote server with default port 1099, connection type "standalone". For this no user is required. In the properties file of the remote server you have to specify the monitorable paths, meaning the paths in the file system from which the logs may be displayed over this connection.

In <saploc>\<sid>\<inst>\j2ee\admin\logviewer-standalone you find a documentation pdf where the whole procedure is described. The necessary executables are in this folder, too.

By the way, depending on the version of your standalone log viewer, in the logviewerServer.properties the parameter

Logviewer_use_NI=true

Logviewer_NI_port=26000

may be active. If you want to user port 1099 you should comment those two lines.

HTH,

regards

Astrid

Former Member
0 Kudos

I followed the "unclear" directions and started the server on my HPUX based system where J2EE is running, then installed the standalone logviewer on my Widows desktop. I executed logviewer.bat and setup configuration type standalone, hostname of my HPUX box where the server is running and listening on port 1099 and my logviewer client connected.

On left pane I expanded the tree and when I double click anything - including file with .log or .trc extension, it does not open that log. No error message on logviewer screen.

What am I missing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katrin,

Which version of J2EE is it?

regards

Anand.M