cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve and Populate a default text in the Engineering Record Long Text and in Notes

0 Kudos

Dear all,

We will be using engineering records  (ER) to  implement (define, approve, execute) changes on materials and bills of material.

During this process the end users wants to use the ER - Long Text and also the ER Internal Notes to document the change and give his feedback during the approval or implementation step of the workflow.

There is a requirement to load a default text as a 'template' so the user can fill several pre-defined sections.

The correct default text is to be loaded based on Eng Record header fields: (Eng Rec Type + additional customized field Change Type)

Example text Notes for design change:

• Retesting : Y/N

Impact on:

• Open purchase orders:
  • Open production orders:
  • Stock:
  • WIP:
  • Cut in serial number:
  • Scrap/EMQ:
  • Cost:
  • Data package:
  • Kits / Spare parts:

=> Does anyone have experience implementing this kind of requirement?

=> How are Long Text stored and where to store the defaults. Can or should we use Standard Text via transaction SO10?

=> How are Notes stored and where to store the defaults. Can or should we use Standard Text via transaction SO10?

I know the Eng Record is using Case Management and In the customizing I found text Object  'SMC_CASE' (text management for Case manegement)
using Text ID's ZER6 (internal note) and ZER7 (External Note). I also found a Text Profile 'PLM_ECR' (PLM Eng Chang Record)

However I don't how this all links together.

By using the search I found an implementation in CRM

Where they use a combination of text determination procedure and and  access sequence to derive a Standard Text.

I don't know if this solution could also work in an Engineering Record.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhishek_gupta2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Arne ,

Few pointers :

--> in the customizing , you will find the text profile as 'PLM_ECR'.

It has values 0001--> decsription ,

0002--->Internal note

0003-->concluding remark

0004 --->Reply

Now if you want to hide some of them , just make them invisible from customing and to add additional options add new entries .

For seeing how the implementation works , you need to spend some time debugging the following class /PLMI/CL_ECR_NOTES and methods : ADD_TEXTS , CHANGE_LAST_TEXT.

These methods internalls call the case management API which do the actual notes operation .

Kindly analyze them and this will give you an idea for your implementation.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek.

0 Kudos

Hello Abhishek,

Thanks for you feedback.

A few more questions:

1. Where do you link the Text Profile to the Eng Record? Is this Text Profile used on all Eng Records or can it be customized? I was checking Eng Record Type customizing but could not find any Text Profile there.

2. I in the customizing Text Profiles I found on the subsequent TEXT ID's a possibility to define a Function Module (per Text Profile / TEXT ID) I assume I could use this for retrieving my own default texts ? Do you have any more info on how this 'text dermination' works ?
    When is it called / when will it populate the default text. Would the default text overwrite any existing text at some point in time ?

Function module that defines a text template

Function module that specifies a text that serves as a template.

Function module SCMG_CASE_DETERMINE_TEXT serves as an example of the interface.

If a function module has been entered, it is used during text determination.

When using text determination, there must be least one entry in the field assignments, such as TDSPRAS.

Answers (0)