Did you mean: 

FTP Connect Mode: Per file transfer

PS23
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

In file to idoc scenario; we have been facing errors like:

1. FTPEx: 500:Unexpected reply code OOPs: Child died:
  2. FTPEx:520:Unexpected reply codeControl connection prematurely closed by server

The message flow is around 2000-2200 messages per day.

Time difference between each messages ranges from miliseconds to 4 mins of gap between the messages.

FTP channel parameters:

1.Data connection:Passive

2.Timeout:300

3.Connect Mode: Permanent

4.Poll interval: 120 secs

5.Retry: 5 secs

6.custerSyncMode:lock

As a workaround we have changed the the connect mode to Per file transfer.

As per definition connection is established  "per file transfer" , When we say this per file transfer, is it that each file which is pulled in gap of miliseconds will lead to establishing new connection?

If that been the case then seeing the frequency and time gap, each time the connection is established will be overhead on FTP.

Can some one suggest.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

When we say this per file transfer, is it that each file which is pulled in gap of miliseconds will lead to establishing new connection?

When you set the connection mode to per file transfer then File adapter will open a new connection each time.

Each time the connection is established will be overhead on FTP

To avoid the above error we need to close the connection,SAP also recommend to use per file transfer option only in order to avoid connectivity problems, It should be ok because we also faced same issue and we did the same thing we did not see any performance problems in our system.

I see your files are not too much volume based only 2000 files per day, if it is not time critical i would suggest to change the poll interval to 15 minutes to reduce the number of connections.

Regards,

Praveen.

PS23
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Praveen,

Even after implementing this, we are also not observing any such failure.

But i was wandering how it is actually working. Yes we can increase poll interval to atleast 5mins.

So is it like, one connection for each file transfer-i.e each miliseconds new connection .

Or can you explain, poll behavior in terms of connect mode?

Also can you suggest if connect mode should be set for receiver FTP channels as well?- Can there be any performance issues?

Thanks

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

So is it like, one connection for each file transfer-i.e each milliseconds connection .

Or can you explain, poll behavior in terms of connect mode?

The adapter open FTP connection for each polling if you set the connection mode as per file transfer. If you set polling interval to 5 minutes then the adapter will open a FTP connection every 5 minutes and closes the connection immediately after finish processing.

Also can you suggest if connect mode should be set for receiver FTP channels as well?- Can there be any performance issues?

Yes it is same for sender and receiver channels, There will be a slight performance overhead in per file transfer but I dont think this will be significant and should be negligble.

Regards,

Praveen.

PS23
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Praveen

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please close the tread

Answers (0)