cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why number range in Notification and Order is not linear ?

former_member294975
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Please try to give me the answer to my question as I am into dilemma in understanding number range buffer concept in many of the post in this community. Thanks for the explain give in various post for number ranges in SAP PM. Please make me clear "Why number range in notification and order is not in linear format". To some point of time the number ranges is fine and after that, it skip  to 19 or 39 or some other number. What would be the effect if i change the buffer 10 and 20.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basant

• It has been clearly explained in several threads like this one:
  • Buffering is needed where there are multiple servers like in PRD client. The QAS and DEV clients often have only one Server each, so inspite of Buffer setting the numbers come sequentially.
  • In multiple server scenario, if Buffering is not there or set to value 1, then it would take lot of time for a sequential number to be allotted to the Order (or whichever is the case), because the system has to contact all the four servers to arrive upon the next number.
  • This is the understanding from the functional perspective.
  • If you want to go further deep then it amounts to understanding about Server setup and their linkage to one another etc.. etc.., for which you might have to go to other space, may be BASIS?
  • Also see this Skipping of numbers in the SAP Number Range object
former_member294975
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Sir for the valuable information, but my concern is that I have to explain the client why the number range is skipping. Technical what you said is true but client will not understand. Client want the number range should be in sequential.

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are two points here:

• Client needs to be convinced for skipping numbers which is a standard behaviour (Recommended)
  • Client needs to be provided sequential numbering through Buffer modifications in all number range objects to 1 (Not recommended and not seen anywhere working)

Further

• You can not get this number skipping environment (multiple servers) in DEV or in QAS as explained before. So we can not simulate and show to the client the disadvantage of reducing buffer to 1 which will lead to lot of time before an object is created.

So alternatives left are

• For example in one of the discussions, see what this expert says.

Regards

KJogeswaraRao

former_member294975
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you, Jogeswar Sir I believe in SAP PM for Notification and Order there is no legal requirements. So, skipping  the number will not impact the object anyway. I am working on the test client and facing the issues. Finally decided not to change the buffer settings if it is not the best practice and not recommended.

Lots of thanks...

Answers (0)