Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charm Transport N+1 Landscape

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are planning to add Second development and Quality system for ECC EHP upgrade project. Plan is to use Charm to move transports for project landscape till Quality only and add it to Virtual queue but not in production system (PRD1) queue using a separate charm project without disturbing the existing production support project

How should I configure this in Charm ? We don't want to use Retrofit functionality but use charm to manage approvals and transports during project implementation.

In Solar_project_admin --> under Systems, how should I setup this scenario ? If we use only DEV2 and QAS2 for now... can we later add PRD1 ?

DEV2 --> QAS2 only

OR

DEV2 --> QAS2 --> PRD1

I don't want to mess up existing production support project by adding PRD1 to the new project.

Regards,

Salman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Salman,

Please check the below blog

it does cover your virtual system requirement and replacement in charm but make sure

that SID of the virtual system is the same as the physical system for your transition to Production.

there are recommendation in the blog as well what all you have to do when you replace it so please read carefully.

hope this clarifies

Thanks

Prakhar

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

thanks for response! I read the document. I have one question... We are already using P1 production system as support landscape. is there any problem if we delete virtual system and add existing P1 production system in charm project later on. ?

When we close the maintenance cycle, does all the transports connected to that project will be associated to the new project when we remove virtual and add P1 production?

Regards,

Salman

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Salman,

I have already mentioned that virtual system should have same SID.

If you have all the notes implemented and necessary authorization while closing maintenance cycle then definitely you changes will be linked back without any issues.

hope this helps further

Thanks

Prakhar

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks Prakhar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Salman,

Yes, For technical upgrade scenario (EHP) or migration use cases, you can define the second dev and Quality and connect to Virtual boxx

Dev and Quality then virtual, later on cutover with the real system during the post cutover.

if you already start or decided to start development in your upgraded Second development system, then you need to setup the retrofit for the syncronisation of changes from D1 to D2.

At the end changes directly created in D2 goes via ChaRM
Changes created from D1 goes to D2 via Retrofit.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jansi

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

Thanks for your help! We don't want to configure Retrofit functionality but just use a new project in charm for project landscape D2 --> Q2 --> Virtual system. Is there any documentation about how to replace Virtual system with current production system during cutover. Just want to make sure we get this right without issues.

We plan to move changes from D1 to D2 manually without retrofit. Is this still possible?

Regards,

Salman

former_member275658
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can someone please guide me ?

Current situation:

Project name: CHARM_SUP

Support Landscape

D1 --> Q1 --> P1

Project Name: CHARM_EHP

Project Landscape in Development

D2 --> Q2 --> Virtual System

Project Landscape during Cutover/Go live

D2 --> Q2 --> P1

How to replace Virtual system with Actual P1 Live system during cutover and what are the implications ?

Plan is not to configure Retrofit functionality. Move transports from D1 to D2 manually.

Regards,

Salman