Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI doubt

harri_kishan
Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

I am new to XI i want to get some information. What is XI replacing in the existing SAP Technology. So should i learn EDI or XI keeping the future in mind ? I am thinking to enter to this new dimension products so suggest me ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

harri_kishan
Participant
0 Kudos

THank you

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>What is XI replacing in the existing SAP Technology.

sap business connector

>>>So should i learn EDI or XI keeping the future in mind ?

XI allows you to do EDI (via SAP conversion agent)

Regards,

michal

harri_kishan
Participant
0 Kudos

thank you for the inputs u hav given but can u be more clear so in order to learn XI i should also be having knowledge of EDI or if u can be clear like if u can explain it me in some technical terms it would be great

cdumont69
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can also do EDI with See Burger or IWAY connector.

See this link : http://service.sap.com/xi -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP NetWeaver in Detail -> Process Integration -> SAP Exchange Infrastructure -> Connectivity -> Connectivity SAP XI 3.0

Oups I find a shortcut : http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000626433&;

Best regards,

Chris

Message was edited by:

Christophe DUMONT

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

knowledge in EDI is added advantage.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

to learn XI you need to have either ABAP of java knowledge

(to be able to do mappings and write proxies)

but if you will have to do EDI via XI

pure EDI knowledge will come in handy

if you talk about EDI in SAP terms (EDI, ALE)

you also need this to be able to send IDOCs to XI

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

harri_kishan
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you michal it was a great answer now i have one more doubt EDI is used as an interface to get data from 3rd party to SAP and so where iand how and why XI and EDI are related. And what does XI does ? and wht does EDI via XI means ?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

EDI is a universally accepted standard, that defines structures for most of the business transactions - order, remittance advice, remittance voucher etc.

XI is a SAP's process integration solution. There are third party adapters that will help convert the XI XMLs to any of the standard EDI formats. As one of the person earlier responded EDI knowledge is an value addition for any XI developer.

Thanks.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

in simple terms:

you want to send a purchase order via EDI from SAP

SAP cannont send EDI messages (it can send IDOCs)

1. so - you send an IDOCwith purchase order to XI

2. xi transforms the IDOC to EDI message (message mapping)

3. XI sends the EDI message to EDI receiver (EDI maibox etc)

this way you can send EDI messages from SAP

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You do nor need SAP XI to use EDI/ Xi provides an interface method between SAP modules. It can work with external companies interfaces using and EDI adaptor.

Butm you can use EDI adaptor without Xi. If you want to send (or receive) business transactions based on EDI, you need to buy an EDI adaptor for correct version of SAP (all EDI adapotrs are not certified for all versions of SAP). and translate EDI to IDOC or IDOC to EDI formats.

Xi will help if you need to share this business transaction across different SAP modules.

regards

Joginder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You do not need SAP XI to use EDI. Xi provides interface between SAP modules. It can work with external companies interfaces using an EDI adaptor.

But you can use EDI adaptor without Xi. If you want to send (or receive) business transactions based on EDI, you need to buy an EDI adaptor for correct version of SAP (all EDI adapotrs are not certified for all versions of SAP). and translate EDI to IDOC or IDOC to EDI formats.

Xi will help if you need to share this business transaction across different SAP modules.

Seeburger adaptor for normal EDI (without Xi) provides almost same functionality as it will provide with Xi adaptor.

I hope this helps.

regards

Joginder