Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Express + Eclipse: Cannot access host at ipv6 address

sap_rocks
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I downloaded and imported the virtual image of SAP HANA Express successfully and read out the ip address of the HANA system. I only got an ipv6 address ("/sbin/ifconfig" in OpenSuse) so I wrote it down and tried to configure a system in Eclipse Neon via the SAP HANA Administration Console. Unfortunately I got the following error: "Cannot access system on host '<ipv6 address>'". What did I do wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sap_rocks
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok, now I figured it out: I had to choose NAT as Network Adapter because I'm in a company network. Then I got a valid ipv4 address which can be entered in Eclipse.

carlsoane
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Marius for letting us know what worked. sounds like we need to add that check to our troubleshooting notes.

carlsoane
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Again Marius:

I just want to confirm that you only need to access your VM from the VM host and not from an external host. If you need to access it from an external host, you'll need to figure out how to use bridged.

Regards,

Carl

Here's VMWare's discussion of the topic: https://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-12/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/workstation-pro-12-user-guide.pdf go to page 176.

sap_rocks
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carl,

yes, indeed. I just forgot to write that I only need local access to the VM in the first step because it's on my laptop. But later it's neccessary to test SAPUI5-Applications on e.g. smartphones or other laptops and for that I will need access from external hosts. Maybe I will find a workaround for that. If so I will post it in this thread.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Marius

Matt_Marples
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carl,

I have the same problem that Maruis was experiencing. My VM of SAP Hana resides on my  laptop, so do I need to use Bridged,NAT, Host-only?

carlsoane
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Matthew:

If you're going to be accessing the VM from another host, you'll need to use bridged networking. NAT will only allow you to access the VM from the host of the VM.

Carl

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

carlsoane
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marius:

I've seen this occur for several different reasons. Let me give you a couple of things to try in order of likelihood.

1. Make sure that your virtual machine is using Bridged networking and not NAT or Host only for the interface. If you are using VMWare you can edit your VM network adapter settings using the Virtual Network Editor tool.

2. You have conflicting virtual network drivers on your host. I, for example, have to disable or uninstall my virtualbox drivers when using VMWare on my laptop or I will not get an ipv4 address.

More exotic possibilities:

3. Your client OS certificate might be the wrong version. I had a Windows 8 laptop installed with a Windows 7 certificate that couldn't get an IP address. Updating the certificate got rid of the problem.

4. I had an HP laptop with outdated BIOS where the problem manifested. A BIOS upgrade did the trick.

Good luck,

Carl

sap_rocks
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carl,

thanks for your answer . I tried 1) and 2) without success. BUT: I found out that if I switch from the internal network in my company to direct internet connection (yes, we have two lines) I got an IPv4 address. How is that possible?