cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Lumira Document on Query Panel Extensions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

We starting using Lumira 1.31 and we are facing the following issue.

We created an unx universe based on Oracle Database with ODBC. On SAP BI Platform server we created the 64 bit ODBC to Oracle.

I tested the universe on WebI from LaunchPad and I can able to retrieve data, so the 64bit ODBC on server works.

Then I tried with Lumira Desktop.

Using the Datasource "Universe" all works fine.

Using the "Query Panel Extensions" I have the following error when i try to preview the data in query panel.

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12154: TNS: impossible to solve the connection ID specified.

If I continue anyway, then the system try to scanning the source and I got this error

I would like to understand how Lumira Desktop works when refreshing data from universe on BI Platform.

Do I need local ODBC on my PC? Or Lumira should retrieve data from server?

I read this Refresh a Lumira document based on a universe (UNX) stored on SAP Business Intelligence (BI) Platfor... but it is not clear on this point.

Anyone facing the same issue?

Thanks and regards.

Nicolò

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

harjeetjudge
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Have a look at the following blog for Lumira refresh workflows:

https://scn.sap.com/community/lumira/blog/2015/10/14/using-sap-lumira-on-universes

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you try creating the ODBC DSN connection in 32 bit (C:\Windows\Syswow64\odbcad32.exe).

See if that works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean on the server or on my local pc?

former_member198519
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On you local machine, where you have Lumira installed. Also check the TNSPing for the oracle connection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On my local machine I have both 32 and 64 oracle client installed.

I created the 32 bit connection and the issue is the same.

(I am able to ping the Oracle server)

Also, in the same PC, I have IDT and I am able to create connection to Oracle.

I know that IDT works on 32bit ODBC, so the 32bit ODBC to Oracle is working, but it is not with Lumira Client Desktop.

sateesh_kumar1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nicolo,

Do you have oracle 32 and 64 drivers in server ?

we don't need to have ODBC for oracle sources . TNS file will do.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sateesh.

I try to modify the connection of the univers, in order to use Oracle Client instead ODBC.

The issue is the same.

I have the same tnsname.ora on the server and on my local PC.

sateesh_kumar1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try with Try uninstalling and downloading Universe Query panel extension ?

It may fix incompatibilities .

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sometimes googling the error brings up possible solution(s). Can you please have a look at the following?

odbc - Oracle ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve service name Error? - Stack Overflow

I really like the above as it has a pretty good description of possible issues that can cause the error.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer Product Support

Follow us on Twitter (#SAPLumira)

Got Enhancement ideas? Use the SAP Idea Place 

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried on different server and there is not te problem.

In the new server I have only 64 bit Oracle Client.

Now I am able to refresh dataset from universe unx on Oracle, using the QPE, without having local ODBC on my PC.

So SAP Lumira Client works always on server side when refreshind data from universe?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, of course. It is a managed connection. E.g.; if you remove a connection to BI Platform, you will not be able to use Universes.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

So Lumira Client and WebI Rich Client works are both client tool but works in different ways.

WebI Rich Client needs local 32bit ODBC connection, meanwhile Lumira Client doesn't need local 32bit ODBC connection.