cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYCLO : events log heartbeat

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see in the events log that we're getting a heartbeat that the application is up and running ... what controls how often that runs?  Currently it looks like it is 60 minutes.  Can that be changed?  Where is it changed? What are the implications of changing from 60 minutes to 5 minutes?

Is there a better way to monitor that the application is up and running without having to log into the console or run the https://server:8081/appname url?

Current logging... every hour

09/25/2016 03:52:13, 0,         0,         7, Thr       6348,

09/25/2016 04:52:14, 0,         0,         7, Thr       6348,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

are there any issue making it every 5 minutes instead?  how does it affect the client or is it only used for the heartbeat of the app?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heather,

To my knowledge this is like heart-beat mechanism if you dont see 0, 0, 7 for long time in the events.log server is not responding well. It might respond to active connections but safer to restart as soon as possible.

Now coming to your question, yes we can reduce this to every five mintues. I know there was an issue with SP10 of SMP which was fixed in later version, where beat just stops due to race conditions, so first suggestion goto latest SP level if you can.

I have faced issues with my previous clients that is sometimes SMP becames irresponsive. The best solution I found was Perl script which can monitor this 0, 0, 7 on the events.log.

The sample script is given below. I have modified these to alert in case of heart-beat stoppage.

How to parse Agentry Message Log - SAP Mobility - SCN Wiki

Please note this need Perl installation on servers and its need to be tested well before any sort of production usage.

Regards

Vivek Nidhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm running smp11 p3 so hopefully it won't be an issue to change the timing.  I will test it out in our dev environments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello - Reducing it to 5 min has no problem. I wish SAP give some solman integration of this heart beat so that BASIS team can monitor this. I dont think at present that is available. So someone will have to login and check the events.log

Regards

Vivek Nidhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can write a program to read the events log and monitor that we've received the proper message within x timeframe.  I just wanted to make sure there wsn't a better way to monitor the heartbeat other than the log and that changing the setting in the console wouldn't affect anything else.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have reduced this to 15 min in my previous customer. They was no problem !

Regards

Vivek Nidhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heather,

The parameter Keep Alive can be changed here in the cockpit. Please refer below. Any doubts please let me know. It will need a restart.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smp303svr/helpdata/en/7c/29e5f5700610148e51c4102fcb0038/content.htm