cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Search - no results = filters gone

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When a search does not provide any results you do not get an empty result set, but instead you get a new "no results" page.

That means you have to go back (well okay, there is a button for that), and apply another filter.

This is unintuitive. I would expect to get an empty result set, and simply be allowed to change any filter parameter to see if that gives any results.

The process of elimination is hindered by the fact that the last applied filter is simply reset.

Let us say that we search with a couple of key words, and get a really long list of results.

We then see if any of these results were made in the last month.

No results. Mmmh, apparently no results newer than a month.

Go back to previous page.

A colleague comes to your desk and asks you something...

Okay, where was I? Ah yes, try with another time frame. What was the previous time limit again?

It was a week I guess, lets try a month this time.

No results.

Go back to previous page.

Not intuitive.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Hello Johan,

Are you talking about this search:

https://onedx.find.sap.com/s#t=tesetgwedgrfdcg&n=1&p=default&repo=srh ?

Regards,

Moshe

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moshe,

That's the one

Regards,

Johan

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

So you would like to be able to toggle the search filters, even when there's 0 results. (At least the query isn't lost when you click "Back to previous results".)

I'll pass on this suggestion to the search development team.

Ultimately, the right results should appear at the top of search results without the need for filters and that's the goal with this tool.

Thank you,

Jason

Johan_H
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

That is right, in pretty much any filtered list you look at on the web, the behavior is that when you get an empty result set, you can simply adjust any of the filters, to see if that will get you a result.

So the system as is works like this, but it is weird that the no results message is displayed on a completely different page, instead of inline.

Regards,

Johan

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Agreed - being able to remove or revise a filter is better than going back to a prior search that found something.  Tell me in the results that nothing was found, and give me a chance to 'X' out any of the filters (like eBay where doing a distance search for something that is outside of 2 miles from your home zip code)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh yeah - forgot to mention that if you enter the search site with a URL like provided above, the button for history.back () is pointless, and perhaps the Back to Previous Results button should not be visible.

Answers (0)