cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe setup on BEX

0 Kudos

Hello Hi,

I have an universe in BO4.2 connecting to a BEX query on BW7.5 currently. And I'm just wondering....

Is it a must to make use of BEX query in order to connect to BW in BO? Can I connect to the infoprovder directly from BO?

When i create an universe, i normally can create parameter in business layer; however, i don't seem to be able to create that if the universe is on top of BEX query. May I ask what i should do if i want to setup that?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Matthew.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you have two options to connect BW with BO.

option1) BICS can connect BW Multiprovider/BEx query.

Option2) Mulitsource universe can connect DSO/Cube/Mutliprovider.

If you want to business layer parameter option then you have to go with option 2 connectivity.

I know from BO 4.2 you can create the universe on top of BEx queries but again it's going to be OLAP. You will not get parameters option.

Instead of parameters you can create direct prompt conditions in the Webi report level or do it BEx level.

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, Amit.

I have been reading different posts and mostly people suggest to connect to BEX query because of performance.

However, it seems to me that things got pretty complicated and there are different kind of limitation as well. (perhaps it's because i learned the Universe setup first before i learned anything about BEX)

So, may i also ask, apart from the performance, any advantage creating a webi report based on BEX?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Matthew

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BICS and UNX universe are two different thing.All depend on the business use.UNX is not the alternate of BICS or vice versa,more depend on the requirement you have to choose.

BICS is good if users are using BW hierarchies as BW hierarchies are not supported with UNX universe.There are  some features limitation with BICS in Webi queries but yes workaround are available.

BICS connection is good if you are using more calculated or restricted Key figures in BEx query.Where requirement is to display last month last year data based on the system date then you have to go with BICS connection.

UNX is more useful when users are more technical and requirement is to do Adhoc reporting.in some cases reports requirement is to use more  sub queries in webi or result from another queries option then UNX is better because all these features are not available with BICS connection.good if you have not the requirement to use BW hierarchies.